Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

Recently my picture went out on my Polaroid tv, but i still

Recently my picture went out on my Polaroid tv, but i still have sound. Is there a way to fix this without having to buy a new tv?
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, consider an experiment. Power on the TV and tune to a program/station. If at all possible, darken the room where the TV is. Shine a flashlight closely but at an angle
towards the screen where the volume level is usually seen. Press the VOL UP/DOWN and note if a dark/ghostly image of the volume level could be seen.

Postback results. The above is a test to determine if it is a backlighting issue.

Edited by Benimur on 10/2/2010 at 5:03 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yes, I could see a ghostly image of the volume level. Also, I could see a ghostly image of the picture. What should I do now?
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
Appreciate the postback.

This would then be indicative that the problem is a backlighting issue. Backlighting as the term implies refers to the soft whitish glow at the back of the LCD screen. Possible suspects would then be:
  • CCF lamps (cold cathode florescent) (least likely);
  • power supply to the inverters (likely);
  • inverters (most likely).

As this is a hardware problem, the Polaroid has to be opened up for confirmation/further diagnosis and effect repairs. Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Service Center or a qualified professional.

If a DIY is being considered, replacement inverter may be inquired here.

I could also provide you with a copy of the Repair / Service Manual should you have use/need for it. Would this be acceptable?

Edited by Benimur on 10/3/2010 at 7:07 PM EST