Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My new dynex tv will not show cable channels. The tv is hooked

Customer Question

My new dynex tv will not show cable channels. The tv is hooked up directly to the wall cable outlet. it will display a cable channel for a split second, then go to snow. Thought it was the cable first but they came out and after an hour hooked up two other tv's and cable worked fine. they said it had to be a tv setting issue.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have 2 dynex tv's that this is happening with, both are set up in different locations at our house.

model # XXXXX

model # XXXXX

the tv works fine with a dvd player. Cable also works with a cable box hooked up to it. just not with cable directly into wall outlet.

Thanks again

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Have you done the channel scan on both?

How old are these televisions?

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Yes, channel scan completed several times on both. It goes on for 15+ minutes and finds several hundred channels (200+ digital, 100+ RF).

They are both new, out of the box from Best Buy. I have had them home, connected for about a month now.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

In the menu is there a setting for cable/air?

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

In the channel section of the menu it offers:

1. TV Source - antenna, cable/satellite, and cable. On the antenna setting it shows channels 5, 11, 15 and 20 in very good reception (no other channels though). In the cable setting it shows all channels for a split second then goes to snow. Cable/Satellite does nothing.

2. Auto Scan

There is another selection (DTV Signal), but it is shaded darkly and not accessible.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Did these work for the first month perfectly and then start acting up at the same time?

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
no, never worked from the beginning. thought it was cable connection so we had to wait a couple of weeks for the cable techs to come out. cable guys came out and determined all cable lines were working. we set up two other tvs (my other LG and one of their demos) and both worked fine.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

I have been looking at the specs for your tv and they are not very helpful, according to the best buy website this only has an antenna rf input but not cable. But we have a cable setting in the tv. Do you have any documentation as to what type of tuner the set has in it?

Tim