Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

My Sylvania 32 flat screen tv is in standby mode.How do I

Customer Question

My Sylvania 32" flat screen tv is in standby mode.How do I get it out of that?
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, determine and postback the Sylvania's model number.

Edited by Benimur on 9/27/2010 at 6:48 AM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
model number LC321559A
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
On a Sylvania LC321SS9-A, the described symptom of "...goes straight to stand by..." is very significant as it indicates that:
  • a major component/board has faulted and the built-in diagnostics has sensed this fault. To prevent further damaged, the system has halted and kicked in auto-protect mode;
  • the power supply itself has faulted.

Almost always, this is a hardware fault. Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Service Center or a qualified professional.

If a DIY is being considered, foremost to check would be the output voltages on the secondary side of the switch-mode power supply with & withouot load. Of particular interest would be the consistency of the standby voltage. Of course, voltage measurements are done with the back cover removed, the unit plugged in and live. Would you be comfortable proceeding?

Edited by Benimur on 9/28/2010 at 10:44 PM EST