Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.
14090506

I have a 55 inch Hitachi Plasma about 5-6 years old. This is

I have a 55 inch Hitachi Plasma about 5-6 years old. This is a model 55HDT51. In the last year or so, the screen as become noisy with some speckles flickering in the darker areas. This gets better as the TV warms up but never goes away. The darker areas have a red hue to them. does not seem to adjust out. Even more recently, I have a red line starting at the bottom right extending about 50% up from the bottom of the screen about 4 inches in from the right side. Last night, another red line started extending down from the left edge bout the same distance.

I don't have anything to prove it but something tells me that the noise and lines my be coming from the control unit and not the panel itself. This comes from all data sources but the lines disappear when switching data sources.

Is it time to trash this thing and getting something new?

Did the original lines and noise go across the screen horizontally - something like this:

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, there are no lines a indicated in your picture. What I am calling noise wold be like the "digital" form of snow but quite faint.

The vertical line on the right would is a read vertical strip about 2 pixels thick

All the lines and "noise" are vertical on the screen? Nothing horizontal?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
The noise does not have an identifiable pattern, not vertical, nor horizontal.... The line I am talking about is a single red line starting from the bottom of the screen about 3-4 inches from the right side of the screen. This line is about half as long as the screen is tall.

On the left side of the screen is another line that starts from the top about 3-4 inches in from the left of the screen. The line is red and extends down is about half as long as the screen is tall.

Both of these lines are about 2-3 pixels thick.

Thanks,

Mark
Hi Mark,

Let me double check the service manual for this model. This appears to be an address (Z board) problem, but usually its entirely a vertical line. I need to check if this TV has dual scan on the Z axis.

Thanks,
Hi Mark,

Okay, you do have multiple address boards in this TV and those symptoms indicate it is the address (A bus or others call the Z-board) that is the problem.

Here is how your TV's boards are configured:

Register Here

They provide the vertical signal to the panel.

It will have to be serviced, the boards are replaced. They run about $125 plus labor for replacement. However the panel logic board should be tested to ensure its not the problem - as it is unusual for more than one of these boards to go bad as in your symptoms.

Thanks,