Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

we have a 44 rear projection tv lg RE-44NZ21RB when we switched

we have a 44" rear projection tv lg RE-44NZ21RB when we switched it on this morning there is a red shadow around each object on the screne and the words are doubled like double vision? we smelt an electrical smell too? any idears of what could have caused this and how to fix many thanx
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 6 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer... I'd be happy to assist you with this.

You took the proper first step, running auto-convergence. If the convergence won't adjust (as you described) then your convergence circuitry has most definitely failed. This is an even more accurate diagnosis when coupled with the smell you mentioned. There are a few things that control your TV's convergence... a couple resistors or diodes, and an integrated circuit (IC) or two. There is no telling which component has failed without taking a look inside. If you have an electronics skill set and a multimeter, feel free to take a peek. Otherwise, you should have a qualified technician do this. There is a convergence repair kit for your model... it runs about $80 and contains everything required to repair this malfunction (new resistors, ICs, thermal paste, etc... it even comes with picture-based directions). So if you're handy with a soldering iron, this would be your best bet.

I hope this helps. Can I assist with anything else?