Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience:  FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.

I have a Hitachi HD1080 flat screen tv - no picture on the

I have a Hitachi HD1080 flat screen tv - no picture on the screen but the power button is flashing on an off with a blue light and won't turn off? Please help
Category: TV
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer,

What is the complete model number of the TV? There should be a tag on the back with the model number.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
P50H401 VTE02514..I think thats what it says but its mounted on my wall and its a 55" so I dont dare to try to take it off by myself....I hope that helps
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer,

That's a good model number - let me check the service information and see what we can do. The blinks, are they in any pattern, such as blink blink blink, pause then three blinks again?

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes that is the exact pattern they are in...3 blinks, pause, 3 blinks.....
Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer,

I hope my example did not prejudge your counting - three blinks mean the SDR board(s) may have failed. These are the boards that provide the "high voltage" to the plasma display and cause a protective mode shutdown.

It will have to be serviced - I am sorry to say. There are two boards in the TV - and upper and lower - usually only one fails. They run about $150 plus labor for repair.

I'm sorry its not good news - ask if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

do you have any idea how long a procedure that is to fix that?

Expert:  Rod replied 3 years ago.
Hi Customer,

This can usually be done in the home, but the replacement parts will have to be ordered, and which board is at fault - a few days.

The first thing to verify this problem is a visual check of the SDR boards for vented buffer capacitors, and some possibilities of shorts on chip capacitors on the SDR boards.

You will need a multimeter, and have to take the back of the TV off. The SDR boards will be on the left mounted one above the other with a ribbon connector coming from the Y-sus board to each SDR board, then three ribbon connectors going to the Plasma display.

The technical test information for your symptoms is attached here. This is a common problem with Plasma displays - similar to horizontal output failure of CRT TVs.

Thanks,

Edited by Rod on 9/21/2010 at 10:03 PM EST
Rod, TV & Communications Sys Repair
Experience: FCC Commercial License, Previous owner of Electronics Repair shop, 40+ years in electronic systems.