Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician

Im having a problem with my 55hds69. the picture went out

I'm having a problem with my 55hds69. the picture went out but I still have sound. I have the back off the tv right now, what can I check?

No LED's are on. Now that the tv is off the wall and the case is open, the picture is back. The picture used to come back after unplugging and resetting the tv for an hour or so, but that didn't work this time.
Category: TV
Expert:  Rick williams replied 6 years ago.

Hello Sir/Ms, My name is XXXXX XXXXX Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem, And possibly help you save on these Labor charges today

(Please click on high lighted words) this is my sample may not be the same model but doesn't matter the technology is the same.

Would like for you to take your meter and place it on DC voltage, start at the power supply the positive end on VS, Then VA and the negative wire to the panel this is the best ground. Turn on and see if the voltage is present at the VS, VA, V-scan, According to the Label. if a voltage is missing remove each plug from the power supply to make sure they are not holding down the voltage, If you don't find one that's trying to climb, or shows close to what it should be, another method is to locate a short circuit place meter on ohms or beep test follow same procedure no voltage should be shorted to ground. And this is the problem. You can unplug each board one at a time, Starting with the Y-SUS then the Z-SUS.

Friend this is a very common problem with plasma. Within the power supply the capacitors

ALSO click here ,, and here also,, Start to fail and the way you can tell is to check them visually for swelling or expanding of the top.

It will be easy to see the bad caps will not be as flat on the top as the good ones

Normally the parts for this unit is a kit Y-SUSTAIN AND Z-SUSTAIN BOARD, this is what most manufacturers would want you to do, purchase them. But go to high lighted words and go through all the voltage checks to find the bad part, here is also a chart that should help a lot, also this is a picture that will help with identity.

Well Good luck friend, and if my efforts are appreciated, feedback and a bonus will be appreciated

Thanks Simplified click here

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for the help so far. I connected to cable cn 64 while all boards were plugged in and got the following readings
Va (pins 1-2) 61.7v
Vcc (pins 3-4) 4.94-4.95v (went up and down)
Vs (pins 8-10) 85.3-85.4v (went up and down)

none of these seem that out of spec Va should be 60v, Vcc should be 5.1v and Vs should be 80v.

Again, the tv seems to work fine now so maybe that's part of the problem. Any ideas? Again, I will release your fee after this, I would just really like to resolve this as opposed to buying a new tv.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Okay, I messed up, the sticker says Vs=87.1v and Va=63.3..... I was going off the service manual, sorry about that. When I unplug the y-sus board at cable CN31 I get no voltage from the yellow/ grey/ black cable. Is that normal? Again thanks for your help.
If VS stays the same when power supply doesnt have the Y board disconnected vs is good,, if VS is no voltage then the Y and the boards connected to the Y should be changed
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Okay, to clarify.... if Vs goes to 0v when Y is disconnected then the Y-SUS and then everything connected to Y-sus needs to be replaced?

Additionally, I would disconnect the boards to test at the "CN" labeled connectors, right?

thats correct Sir
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry to be a pain, but maybe I misunderstood. I disconnected the x sus board at cn 21 and now I get Vs to be 0v at CN64 (Main Power Supply board) Same thing when I only disconnect CN31 on the y sus board.

Maybe I misunderstood what I am supposed to do?

Thanks again
Not sure what you mean,, make sure to push the power button,,unit must be shut down then unpluged,, to start over again,, I think you should print out what Im sending you Sir,, do this then tell me if VS is present on the power supply,, with nothing connected to it,, Make sure your meter is in place when you press power

not sure if went to customer