TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

sony bravia lcd kdl32bx300 - problem when we turn it on

Customer Question

sony bravia lcd kdl32bx300 - problem: when we turn it on -the sony logo comes on the green light on - then green light flashes and it turns itself off; red light flashes. total time less than 30 seconds; we tried factory reset as per manual instructions; we unplugged from all power outlets for min of 1 minute; still have same problem - cannot get Tv to work, Dvd does not work through it either; no idea what to do to fix it; could it be input incorrect? cannot even get input to show on the screen so don't know ...any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

In most cases it is your backlight inverter --so we have to look closely at the behavior of the startup process...

Also if the TV turns on, then turns ITSELF off....you should get an error code isolating the problem

And of course I can't DELIVER the error codes because the JPG uploader is broke -- again

Look at your TV AFTER you turn it on -- it should turn off, then start blinking from 2 to 7 blinks, then pause, and repeat the blink code.

Tell me what the blink code is.

THEN, when you turn it on , LOOK at the LCD panel in a Darkened room....Does it Light up then go out? Does it NEVER light up at all, or does it light and stay lit?

Answer those two questions, and I'll be able to diagnose your TV and tell you which part you need to repair it.

Edited by TV Tech1 on 9/19/2010 at 9:19 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the blink code is 3 blinks then off then 3 again;
the screen come on - you see the Sony sign - then the solid green light start to flash - there is a brief ( so quick can't tell ) appearance of a "line" with some square in the far left - that flashes across the top - but so quickly you can barely see it - less than a blink in time.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Well that's kind of good...if your screen is lighting up enough to see something on it, that means your LCD panel is still good.

You have lost the Audio 12 Volts. So it is necessary to check to see if the 12 Volts is available on the power supply, and if the Audio fuse is shorted or not....

If the fuse is shorted, we need to replace it, and see if it was a fluke of nature or if the Audio Amp is actually shorted or not....

Do you have a Digital Multimeter available ? If not....

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_03482139000P?mv=rr&i_cntr=1284906456622

We need to do a DC voltage test, and an OHMS/Continuity test on the power supply board.

We'll be checking PS6402 PicoFuse for an open and CN6401 -pin 8, 9 and 5 (audio 12 is pin 5).

Then we'll know if the Audio amp is shorted or not....

Edited by TV Tech1 on 9/19/2010 at 2:35 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
the tv ( and I) are at a summer cabin ( we are just up for the weekend) on a Sunday early am - so not multimeter possible just now - this is a brand new TV - so perhaps best if we take it back to teh city with us - then I can test it there. could this be caused by power surge? should we have a surge protector for it? it seems during the past weeks there have been numerous short power outages at night; please let me know.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Power outages DO stress a power supply if it consistently occurs...it's the Turn on that puts pressure on the components, and if you had the TV turned ON, then power went out, and THEN it turned back on and you got an Audio [[ KA-THUMP !]] and that was when it died.....

Then we are dealing MORE with the power supply....

I know it's $30 for the multimeter, but it's better than guessing which board is where the damage is.

I suggest taking it back with you, stop by Sears or a Lowe's lumber yard. (Meters cost $50 there! Yuck!)

Kmart is now affiliated with Sears too....

Ok, that's just WEIRD.....

http://www.kmart.com/shc/s/p_10151_10104_03482139000P?keyword=multimeter&prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

I guess on your way home, if you see one --stop by Sears or Kmart, and notice for $30 you get an AUTORANGING meter. You adjust it once, and it reads Voltage, another change and it reads Ohms. No having to set the range of voltage or ohms required.

Good price too...

I spent $200 on my meter about 20 years ago......

Edited by TV Tech1 on 9/19/2010 at 3:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok - so can I contact you when back in town - to finish this request? I will take the TV with me - and do the above - then back to you - by the way - where do I plug the meter in to check voltage?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Well, you have to remove the back of the TV's cabinet, plug the TV in, and find the plug labled CN6401 on the power supply board. Pin 1 on that connector is usually marked by a DIFFERENT-colored wire. Then you count down to the pins listed in the previous posting -- touch the RED wire to that pin, and the black wire can be touched to anything metal like the RF tuner connector or the outside of any of the INPUT jacks (they are the TV's ground. (I suggest getting an Alligator Jumper Wire to connect the Black to the Tuner/Input jack and hold the Red test probe on the pins while you turn it on.

The TV will shut off kind of quickly, so you have to stare at the meter the moment you power it up (get a 2nd helper if needed ).

You will be looking for 12 Volts on Pin 8 and 9, and pin 5 too -- if you get it on pin 8 and 9, then the power supply is good.

If you don't get any voltage on Pin 5 -- that's your Audio 12 Volts, and it means there is a short on the Audio Amp, or it KA-THUMPED the fuse open (too much current!)

Let me see if the Picture Uploader has been fixed yet -- this should be a picture of your power supply and where those pins are on the plug.

Attachments are only available to registered users.

Register Here

Oh heck no...it's STILL broke.

Guess we wait for pictures unfortunately.....

Listen, you'll find 3 connectors on the power supply board -- the AC power cord is on the SAME side of the board as the connector you want to test. It also goes to the board with all the INPUT jacks on it.

And pin 1 is the one wire closest to the AC power cord -- count to pin 5, and pin 8 or 9 That's the 12 Volts you want to test.

Edited by TV Tech1 on 9/19/2010 at 4:07 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok.. will contact you likely tomorrow morning - is that ok?
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Sure, I posted some helpful stuff in my last posting, so when you are ready to test -- Look for Bolded / Underlined info . I try to make that stuff stand out so you don't have to read everything posted between us

Also NOTE -- the board states PIN 4 is AUDIO 12 Volts....we should use the PS6402 fuse as the True Reference point (real close to the plug!)

Edited by TV Tech1 on 9/19/2010 at 4:17 PM EST