Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

The remote that came with the cable box no longer works with

Customer Question

The remote that came with the cable box no longer works with the TV, while it continues to work with the cable box. We can change channels, access DVR and perform all cable functions, we can't turn the TV on and off, change volume or perform TV functions.

The issue started about a week ago, was working properly with the current cable box for several months previously. We've been using the controls on the TV to perform TV functions.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Do you still have the remote that came with the tv, that says Pioneer on it?

-What cable provider do you have?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes, I have the Pioneer remote. It does not seem to be able to communicate with the TV either. Just changed batteries.

Time Warner Cable.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ahh so neither remote are communicating with the tv...

We have a couple of things that might have failed here...

First would be the IR sensor could have failed, this would need to be replaced, it is internal to the tv. This type of repair normally runs around $300-$400.

Next could be that the micro on the main board is not accepting the IR sensors input, this would not be good because the main board would need to be replaced, normally around $500-$600.

You can always try the good old reset, with the tv on, unplug it from the wall and let it sit 10 mins and then plug it back in, I hate telling people to do this because in all my years of tv repair, I think I have had this fix about 2 problems, but you never know.

If you know how to solder, use a meter and have some experience, I can assist you with the above repairs, if not then you will need a repairman at this point.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan