Anthony F.
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience:  20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.
34633555

my samsung projection dlp tv has a really dark picture and

Customer Question

my samsung projection dlp tv has a really dark picture and you can see the shows from one side or the other but after a while it goes completely dark
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Can you double check the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hl85086wx/xaa june 2006 same problem as soon as you turn on the tv to do anything
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

If you press the menu button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?

Tim

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

yes but can hardly see it

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Well you most likely have a bad lamp; I say this with about 95% certainty. It is very common for a lamp that is getting weak to get darker and darker...

So what I would recommend you do is replace the lamp at this point.

Do you know how to do this by any chance? If you still have your owners manual there will be instructions in there on how to replace the lamp unit. If you do not have this I will assist you in getting it out.

Also you can purchase a new lamp many places online, I recommend http://www.dlplampsource.com/ they are a good company and get the lamp to you quick. Also they will sell the lamp in two different ways, the first is just the bulb and the second is the bulb in a housing. If you get the whole thing in the housing (costs a little more) the job is a snap. If you get just the bulb then you will need to disassemble your housing, take out the old bulb and install the new one.

Let me know if you need more assistance from me, I will be happy to help.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
i talked to samsung and they said that it was a componet in the tv not the lamp
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Ok, I have replaced pleanty of lamps in your set for this problem, but thats cool. I will opt out.

Tim

Expert:  Anthony F. replied 6 years ago.
Hello JA Customer
I have been fixing Tv and Electronics since I was 5 years old
With better than 20 years experience and 17 years in business
You have the samsung light tunnel issue
the light tunnel assy has collapased in on itself

Samsung is cover ing this repair for the light tunnel and the light tunnel only
for a one time repair on Out of warranty product
so samsung will fix it
but if you have not changed the lamp in 2 years or more then
Tim is prob right you may have a weak lamp as well

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what is the light tunnel

i just got the tv from someone hoping that it would not cost a lot to fix

its a mirror assy inside the optical block
SAMSUNG WILL FIX IT
Anthony F., Owner of TV Service Center
Experience: 20+ yrs. of experience in TV repair, TV production and engineering as owner of TV service center.