Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

My Mitsubishi 73 DLP TVs screen some how ended up in a zoom

My Mitsubishi 73" DLP TV's screen some how ended up in a zoom like configuration where I can not see the top and bottom of the screen. I have looked through the instructions and remote options several times and can not find anything that helps. Any ideas?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My model number is XXXXX It is going on three years old. The zoom problem occurs when I am in the sattelite mode. I do not have an antenna or cable option. My only other devise is a DVD which comes up without the zoom problem, but is in a pillar box format. The format buttons on my TV remote and my satelite remote have no effect on the picture while in the satellite or DVD mode.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

So you have tried the button on the satellite remote but the picture does not change at all?

How is the satellite box hooked to the tv?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I hit the format button on the satellite remote, it scrolls formats from 480 resolution pillar box, to chrons, to standard, to stretch. The screen however, never adjusts and it will not show any 720 or 1080 options.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

How do you have the satellite box hooked to the tv?

The choices are:
Component cables: 5 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a green, a blue, a red, a white, and another red cable

Composite cables: 3 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a yellow, a white, and a red.

HDMI: 1 wire between the tv and the device, this is a single wire and looks like a computer plug on each end, similar to a large USB connector.

Coax: This is 1 wire between the tv and the device as well. This is the normal cable wire with the end the screws

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HDMI cable. This is a new issue. I have had no problems through the life of the TV.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Those satellite boxes update randomly, whenever the satellite compnay wants to change something so it is possible that we have a conflict issue though HDMI...can you try hooking it up with component cables real quick to test and see if the problem goes away?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No change with colored cables.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Still no adjustment at all when you try to change the aspect?

Question...can you change the format when you are on dvd and make it bigger and smaller?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The DVD screen format does not change when the format button on the remote control is pushed. It appears to be stuck in a pillar box format regardless of the different tapes I tried.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Lets try to preform a factory reset on this set...

Turn the tv on and then use the Mitsubishi remote to press the following buttons in quick order:

Menu

2

4

7

0

You will then have the OPTION MENU on the screen, scroll up or down to highlight Initial and then press enter on the remote.

Does this help the problem?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Tried initializing twice. No change in picture format.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

So with the mitsubishi remote you cannot change format either when watching dvd?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Correct.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Well I do not see a reason why this would be unless the main board in the set has failed...The problem is this is about $500 to have replaced. I am sorry for the bad news, I was really hoping for a quick fix or a easy adjustment but it appears that the signal board in the set will need to be replaced at this point.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Edited by Expert TV on 9/14/2010 at 10:21 PM EST
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.