Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

the remote is no longer working on a vizio 32 lcd tv. the

the remote is no longer working on a vizio 32 lcd tv. the remote does work on another vizio tv that i have. could this be the infra-red eye for the remote has gone bad?

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-If you get really close to the tv does it work at all?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

No. Doesn't work at all. The eye is on the left side and is a little square, I think. Have put the remote right in front and not response.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

You could have a bad IR sensor, this is true if you have this replaced professionally you are looking at around $200 for the repair.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set.

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $400-$500 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Well, that ain't a good for me. The set only cost around $348, new at Sams. Looks like I'll just have to get up and change the channels myself. The controls on the set still work fine.

Thanks for your response.

Sorry for the bad news, let me know if you need anything in the future.

Tim