TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

have a samsung dlp tv screen goes black after a while but sound

Customer Question

have a samsung dlp tv screen goes black after a while but sound stays on,if I UNPLUG IT AND TURN IT BACK ON PICTURE IS FINE FOR A WHILE THEN GOES BLACK AGAIN,going black more often as time passes
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How long before it goes black?

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

time it takes to go black is different at times sometimes a couple hours sometimes a couple of minutes,the unit is about 4 to 5 years old,and it goes black with different devices

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

What does the light on the front do when it goes black?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

nothing,i just replaced the bulb less than 6 months ago

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

So the light just goes out like you turned it off?

Does it play that samsung melody when it goes off on its own?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no goes black like it freezes what picture was there only it is black and white dot looking
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

How long does that last before the screen goes black?

When you have that screen, if you press the menu button on the tv itself, does the menu show up?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, the only way to get a picture back is to unplug it or shut it off and wait for about ten minutes
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok any chance you can get a picture of what this black and white dot thing is and post it to me? I am on the fence between two different parts in your set causing the problem and if I could see it I could tell you exactly. (if you can post a picture, please click the icon above where you are typing with the green tree on it. This will allow you to upload a picture)

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no way to get you a picture it is working fine right now dont know when it will go black again
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

You have no way to get a picture even after it acts up again?

IF not then its ok, just more of a guess then an exact diagnosis without seeing it.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i can take a picture but i dont know when that will be maybe today or maybe tomorrow you never know when it is going to go black
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Well if you like I am usually always around, we can wait until it happens again and then you can let me know. I can be more accurate if I can see the problem for myself...let me know.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok thanks i will send you a picture the next time it happens
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok sounds good.

Tim