Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

My Samsung flat screen TV flickers like a strobe light. It

My Samsung flat screen TV flickers like a strobe light. It will play DVDs but will not pick up the signal for cable. It just says "no signal." The cable guys came and said it's not the cable, it's the TV. Does this sound like something that can be fixed fairly easily or do I need to buy a whole new TV? The TV was a floor model but I've only had it 1 1/2 years! It will cost me $150 to have a TV repairman come. Obviously, I don't want to pay that if I'm just going to have to replace the TV.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-IF you press the menu button on the tv itself, does the menu stay normal or does it flicker as well?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
It still flickers when I push the menu button. The cable won't work at all. It flicks with DVD and VCR and with just a blue screen.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $350

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $400-$500 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan