TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

Hi, I have a Mikomi TV/DVD combi which wont come on via

Customer Question

I have a Mikomi TV/DVD combi which won't come on via the remote or the standby button on the top of the set. The red standby light is on at the front of the set when you plug it in but it won't power up properly. It has done this before and then magically wotked again for no apparent reason. Can you help?

Thanks
Category: TV
Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 4 years ago.
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I’m a Moderator for JustAnswer.

Thanks for your question! This is not a request for more information and I apologize if this message caused you any confusion.

I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. Most questions are responded to within the hour, but this can depend on different factors, including the difficulty of your question, how many questions are being posted by customers, whether or not this type of question can be answered in an online forum and how many Experts are on the site at the time your question posts.

I will go ahead and try to find an Expert to assist you with your question and appreciate your patience. You will receive an email notification when an Expert replies to you, just as you did here. Unfortunately, I can not guarantee a time-frame for which yours will be answered and I apologize a head of time if the wait is longer than expected.

Please do not reply to this message unless you do not need further help. If that is the case, please let me know and I can assist you with that. When you reply, it locks out the question from the Experts and will slow down their response time to you. If they need more information, they will let you know.

Please remember that if you get a satisfactory answer from your Expert to click the green accept button so the Expert is compensated for a job well done. Positive feedback is appreciated by them also. :)

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best,
Gina
Moderator
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am still waiting for an expert reply????

Regards

Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 4 years ago.
I'm so sorry for the delay....yesterday we had some technical issues with JustAnswer. I am going to mark your question high priority for you.

Thank you!
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 4 years ago.
My pleasure :)
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Hi and sorry for the delay in replying to you.

I`m going to help you with your tv/dvd but first could you please tell me it`s model number ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi - its a Mikomi LDVD1535 15" LCD TV/DVD Combi serial No MO7B01042.

Regards

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Hi again.

Can you tell me if that red light flashes or is on steady ?

Are you able to open the dvd tray?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The red light is steady but the set will not power up and therefore I cannot open the dvd tray.

thanks

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

O.k then i have another question:

Do you wish to repair this yourself ?

If so then the next step would be to remove the back cover to take a look and see if you can find this circuit board:

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes I will repair this myself - will take the back off and look for the board.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ok got that board.
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

I`ve circled some capacitors this time.

Can you tell me if they appear swollen/rounded tops ?

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, they look ok Jack.

thanks

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Was asking because it is often the case in lcd tv`s and that is what causes the problem(often) for the power circuit.

But it does not mean that it is not the problem .

Which brings us to the next steps:

This board cost 30 pounds and i could give you an address where to get it in the UK.

Or if you can get a hold of a voltmeter we could take some measurements that could confirm its demise(or health).

And perhaps another option would be to remove it and have it tested at a local repair shop although it is sometimes difficult to test it outside the tv set.

If it is found to be operating properly the next suspect would be the main board.

Edited by Jack on 8/30/2010 at 7:47 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have a voltmeter.

Thanks

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

O.k then
First be careful not put your fingers on the heathsink closest to the a.c connector as it is often at line voltage.

The first thing to do is to find a standby 5 volts in that connector near those capacitors.

Not 4.5 or 4.7 but 5 volts or 5.1 volts +

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok will try.

thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I have 5+ volts between the top (-ve) pin and the second, third and fouth pin.

thanks

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

I would guess this is in reference to ground.

Should have mentioned that you can use the tv chassis for ground reference(black probe)

I have to take off for about an hour but i would have more testing for you when i come back ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

thanks jack but its getting late in the UK - i will sign back on tomorrow night if thats ok?

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.
No problem, good night and we`ll talk tomorrow.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello Jack,

You still out there?

Regards

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Hi again

As a matter of fact i just came back.

What time is it for you , 8:00 PM ?

Still got your meter handy ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yep - on both counts!

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

O.k

On your power supply board there are some writings beside the large connector that goes to the main board.

These are the output/input voltages identification/pinout for that connector.

Can you tell me if one of them has something that looks like P-ON or the ON word associated to it ?

That would be the startup signal coming from the main board and should be at around 3 to 4 volts when the power button is pressed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
No Jack, there 4 say 12v, 2 say 5V and the rest are GND
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Doesn`t make sense as there has to be at least a 24volts in there for the backlight inverter board.

And that board should be switched.

Unless there is another or sub-power supply.

Then can you tell me if that 12 volts is there ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

The ones marked 12V are reading about 15.5 volts and the ones marked 5V are reading 5.2 volts.

Regards

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Jack,

There is another board fed from the power board. This board is smaller and has two high voltage coils on it. Any help?

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

That would be the inverter board.

We cross/posted, did you see my reply above ?

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Guess not , looks like it got lost in the great internet beyond.

I was saying that at this point i believe the problem to be the main board.

Unfortunately i could not find it anywhere for now.

The only thing i could find is used and new sets of your model that goes between 50 and 100 pounds.

So even if we can find your main board, it probably will sell for around 60 pounds, which doesn`t really makes it economically viable ?

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

This was my reply to you that i sent to another customer who must be wondering ; what the heck is he talking about :)

O.k then it would make sense as i was thinking that your set is a 15" model and the 24 volts may not be needed or is built in the inverter board.

So your power supply is constant and not switched, the main board does its switching internally.

In that case i`m afraid the problem is more serious than a power supply board and unfortunately could have to do with the main board.

I took a look and at this point i could not find the main board.

The only thing that i could see is on ebay.UK that had used sets of your model and also the 1538 models for between 50 and 100 pounds used and new.

As the main board if it can be found could go for around 60 pounds i`m not sure if it is economically viable ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Ok Jack, thanks.

Looks like it will be asigned to the scrap heap - pity, but I must admit I was begining to suspect something economically terminal. I will see if I can get a cheap main board but I don't hold out much hope.

Thanks for your time and efforts.

Regards

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

O.k then and let me know if you find anything interesting.

Good luck.