Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

My 32 flat screen hdni emerson t.v. has volume but no picture,

Customer Question

My 32" flat screen hdni emerson t.v. has volume but no picture, it is 9 months old. I unplugged it and replugged but nothing only volume
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-If you press the menu button on the tv itself, does the menu show?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tim,

Can I give you this info tomorrow, I am not at my house today.

Lois

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

Lois,

No problem, I will be around all day tomorrow, just shoot me a message when you have the info.

Thanks!

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Tim,

Sorry it took so long, the Emerson T.V. is model number LC320EMX it will only give me volume.

Lois

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

-If you press the menu button when the tv is on, does the menu show?

-When it is on, in a dark room, do you see a slight glow to the screen?

Tim

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no menu it's a scratchy screen
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 3 years ago.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this television other than unplugging it. It will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $350

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $400-$500 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan