Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician
Experience:  20 YEARS OF TV REPAIR ALSO HD, DLP LCD AND PLASMA EXPERIENCE

Our samsung plasma tv screen went kinda a funny red screen,

Our samsung plasma tv screen went kinda a funny red screen, then just stopped working.. any thoughts?
Category: TV
Expert:  Rick williams replied 3 years ago.

Hello friend, My name is XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem, And possibly help you save on these Labor charges today, Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your question?

How old is the set?

Has any work been performed?

Count the LED blinking pattern before it pauses and repeats?

Can I have your make and model? on the rear of the TV

Is television LCD DLP heavy CRT or Plasma?

are you willing to open the TV ??

And also have you any Television electronics experience? if not A family/friend with electronics skills that can help you out.

Do you have a meter and Tools?

Are to trying to repair your Self?

Just know what to say to the tech, so time isn't a problem in repairs?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

How old is the set?

3.5years old

Has any work been performed?

no

doesn't do that, total black screen.. (it's plasma)

Samsung, it's hanging on the wall and difficult to remove to get the model#

are you willing to open the TV ??

Plasma

yes, my husband thinks he can do it.

Do you have a meter and Tools?

no, don't think so

Are to trying to repair your Self?

only if it's something "easy"

sure

Im afraid it has to be removed from the wall,, ANd once you have can i have the model number please,,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes we will take it down, but hubby has gone to bed frusterated, so it will be tomorrow night, but I will follow up with you, thank you for your time so far.
ok friend
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

model#

HPS5033X/XAC

seriel#

B1C33CNP2008/8Y

version

SD01

Thanks...

(Please click on high lighted words) this is my sample may not be the same model but doesn't matter the technology is the same.

Would like for you to take your meter and place it on DC voltage, start at the power supply the positive end on VS, Then VA and the negative wire to the panel this is the best ground. Turn on and see if the voltage is present at the VS, VA, V-scan, According to the Label. if a voltage is missing remove each plug from the power supply to make sure they are not holding down the voltage, If you don't find one that's trying to climb, or shows close to what it should be, another method is to locate a short circuit place meter on ohms or beep test follow same procedure no voltage should be shorted to ground. And this is the problem. You can unplug each board one at a time, Starting with the Y-SUS then the Z-SUS.

Friend this is a very common problem with plasma. Within the power supply the capacitors

Start to fail and the way you can tell is to check them visually for swelling or expanding of the top.

It will be easy to see the bad caps will not be as flat on the top as the good ones

Normally the parts for this unit is a kit Y-SUSTAIN AND Z-SUSTAIN BOARD, this is what most manufacturers would want you to do, purchase them. But go to high lighted words and go through all the voltage checks to find the bad part, here is also a chart that should help a lot, also this is a picture that will help with identity.

Well Good luck friend, and if my efforts are appreciated, feedback and a bonus will be appreciated

Thanks Simplified click here graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can we not just take the back off and look for bulged capacitors, and replace the ones that are bulged? Is it nessasary to meter these those different spots?

Thank you

Well if you happen to have bad capacitors then your lucky,, because you can spot them,,, but if not then without a meter were guessing,,,And if so then it will be cheaper for service,, shutting down can be the Y,,Z,, power supply
Rick williams, Technician
Experience: 20 YEARS OF TV REPAIR ALSO HD, DLP LCD AND PLASMA EXPERIENCE