hongkongpom
hongkongpom, Cable TV Installer
Experience:  State Of Hawaii Certified Cable TV installer
40928634

My KDL-46S4100 is in need of repair. There was banding and

Customer Question

My KDL-46S4100 is in need of repair. There was banding and the upper right portion o fthe LCD was washed out. A this point when I turn it on I get a blue haze with no menu visiblity or input visibility. Can you give me some direction here. The 46 inch tv is only 2 years old.
Category: TV
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 4 years ago.

Hello and welcome to justanswer.com my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help you with your TV problem.

Can you see the backlight through the rear slots of the TV?

Do you have a volt meter?

Is the sound ok?

Edited by hongkongpom on 8/19/2010 at 4:04 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Backlight. Yes I can see the backlight. I took the back off. What am I looking for?

Volt Meter. I dont have a volt meter. Should buy one?

Sound. The sound was ok Two weeks ago but now I can't even get a screen to change the channel. I can't get it to a channel. No channel no sound. I don't think sound is the problem.

A voltmeter will allow you do check for proper voltages from the power supply.

Do you see the T-CON board inside your LCD TV. There will be a ribbon cable called a LVDS cable connecting it to the main board.

Can you push the clips on either side to release it from the T-CON board and gently wiggle and see if you get flickering horizontal lines on the screen?

So if you press the menu button you don't see it on the TV and now you also don't have any sound?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cannot locate LVDS cable to wiggle. KDL46S4100.

The LCD emitts a blue glowing haze and remains unresponsive to input or menu commands.

Thankyou for your reply,

I believe the purple haze is the backlight shining through.

Your TV has a main board and power board.

The power board is called the G board

http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-1-857-093-21-g-board.htm

and the main board is called the A board.

http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-1-857-092-21-main-board-for-kdl46s4100.htm

When you get your volt meter go to the main board in the middle and look for a connector called "CN19". On this connector look for pin 8 and measure the DC voltage between this pin and the metal chassis of the TV. When you have the meter's probes in place, and with the TV off but plugged in you should read 5V. If not 5V then the G power board is bad.

Now go to pin 1 on the same connector. You should read 0V. Now press the TV power on button and it should go to 5V. If not, then the A main board is bad.

Other sanity tests:

Look for connector CN301 and measure pin 13. You should have 12V with the TV on since you see the backlight. Since I cant' see your panel then this is a sanity check. If the 12V is missing that points to the G board. If it is present and the test you did on CN19 shows no 5V on pin 1 then the A board is bad.

On CN301 you should see 3.3V on pin 7 if it missing this points to the G board. If it is there it points to the A board as the culprit.

hongkongpom, Cable TV Installer
Experience: State Of Hawaii Certified Cable TV installer
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I Have not heard from you folks. Will you continue to work with me. I have had no response.

Hello there,

Did you read my response directly above?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Cannot locate the CN19 Connector on the G board. Are you sure that is the right name?

Also, CN301 12Volt test on Pin13 was 11.50Volts. Still not sure if its the G board or the A Board.

Can we troubleshoot further?

PackerPat2008
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
More details on the CN19 Connector on the A Board. I cannot locate the touchpoints....
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
CN19 Connector might be under the heat sink? I prefer not to remove the heat sink.

Thanks for helping me locate the CN19 touchpoint. !

Hello there,

The main A board has all the connectors on it. You can see what the boards look like if you click on the "ShopJimmy" links in my answer above.

Let's work on the connector CN301. You have found almost 12V on pin 13 so it means the A board needs replacing. If you go to pin 7 on CN301 are you getting 3.3V?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
With the power on... Pin 7 on CN301 is reading 3.35Volts.

Does that help?

Hello there,

Thankyou for that information.

That points to the A board (main board) as being the problem so please order & replace the A board by following my link in the earlier answer.

Best regards

hkp

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK Will do and I will be back in touch for help during the installation. Thank you !

Mahalo

Please be careful with how you remove the old unit and double check the board number to make sure it is correct as sometimes a manufacturer can use different boards to do the same thing.

The board number will be written in white on the component side.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here is the Serial Number: (NNN) NNN-NNNN

Hello there,

That serial number doesn't match. There will be a board number on the main board that matches one of the following two boards. That is the one that you want to order.

Here is the other board that is made for your TV

http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-55-71h01-001g-main-unit-board.htm

Board number

48.71H01.021

Board numbers

55.71H01.411G
SO40FHD
07452-3
48.71H01.031
48.71H01.021

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Here are the numbers from the Board:

Here are the Numbers from my the Main Board:

S040FHD - 07452 - 2
Main Board
48 . 71H01.021
5571H01001G8130F708J02A

Can you reconfirm the correct board I should order from Shop Jimmy?. Please hold my order until this is resolved.

Order this one

When you receive the board compare the two to make sure they are the same before you install it.

I don't work for Shopjimmy so have no control on what product they deliver to you.

Edited by hongkongpom on 8/25/2010 at 12:02 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My initial problem still remains...

My KDL-46S4100 is in need of repair. There is 4 tiers of banding and the right portion of the LCD was washed out. The 46 inch tv is only 2 years old. Replaced the Main board but that did not fix the banding and the washout on the right side.

Optional Information:
Make: Sony
Model: KDL-46S4100

Already Tried:
Replaced the Main Board.

Hello there

The voltage measurements that you did confirmed that the A board was bad rather than the power board being the problem.

However it sounds like you have more than one problem.

Before your TV stopped working did you have a power surge come through or a lightening storm?

As you were changing the main board then you will have touched the T-CON ribbon cable that I mentioned at the top of our Q&A session.

Please wiggle it where it plugs into the T-CON board as I mentioned above and see if you get horizontal flashing lines in the picture.

Are you getting the sound working now?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks,

Wiggling the TCon Cable produces no results.

No Lightning storm produced this issue. Could have been a power surge. (maybe)

Sound is working fine now (after I put in the new Main Board)

Thankyou

If you check out the block diagram for a LCD you can you see should have 5V & 12V reaching the T-CON. Can you please verify that.

If you have these voltages then your T-CON is also bad and you know the drill

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-lj94-02204g-t-con-board.htm

http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-lj94-02204p-t-con-board.htm

I don't want to go down the road that the panel is bad as normally it'll fail in one part only rather than affecting the whole sceen.

I'm also assuming that you can't see the menu when you press the menu button.

graphic

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Can you tell me specifically where the TCon Board is located on the Samsung KDL46S4100? I cant locate it> Thank you !

Hello there,

It's at the end of the T-Con cable that you wiggled earlier and will be under a metal cover.

Do you want a service manual?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Found the TCON cable and board Thanks again !

Cleaned the cable end. I still have washout and image delay on the right hand side od the screen. The full screen banding and tiering is not showing up at this point.

Can you confirm that replacement of the TCON board will take care of that washout and image delay on the right side that I am experiencing ?

I will buy a new TCON board if it resolves the issue noted above.

My only concern is that I don't want to have to replace the LCD Glass Assembly. I have heard it can get expensive. I just need to rule out replacement of that.

BTW: HonkKongPOM....You have been extremely helpful and your technical response has been terrific. We only have a few more steps to go and the LCD should be repaired. I remain very hopeful..

Hello there,

If you check out the block diagram for a LCD you can you see should have 5V & 12V reaching the T-CON. Can you please verify that. This will verify that the G power board is good. Your TV has suffered a few problems unfortunately.

Here is a link to the service manual that will be valid for 7 days

http://wikisend.com/download/617358/KDL46S4100[1].pdf

A failed T-Con board will produce these symptoms and it is on sale for $40 which is a good gamble IMHO.

I would change the board but if it doesn't work then you have a failed panel which as you correctly say is very expensive and not worth it. If the worst comes to the worse there is a good market on eBay for TV parts so you can redeem some of your hard earned money back from this TV

Good luck!

hkp

PS Let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HKP,

I have the 12 Volts reaching the TCon (1st 4 points) but... the other points only read 1.5 Volts. Is that acceptable or should I buy the new TCon board at this point?

(could it be the G board?)

I appreciate your advice on the board. Thanks for the information. Planning on buying a new TCon Board.

Thanks for your reply,

You're getting the main voltages and the 1.5 could be caused by the faulty T-Con or from your meter.

Get the T-Con and hopefully you'll be set.

Best regards

hkp

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
HKP,

Bought the new TCon. Results did not change. I still have wash out on the 1/3 right side and I get faded pixels with historical pixel blur. Sadly not up to speed. Jiggled the TCon connector with no joy.

Really at a loss now. Let me know what you think....

Many Thanks,
PackerPat2008