Dan, Master Tech and Repair Facility Trainer
Experience:  USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.

I have an RCA RT2906 and I am not getting any sound from my

Customer Question

I have an RCA RT2906 and I am not getting any sound from my Blue Ray Player in the HDMI one slot. I tried plugging in the Optical audio and then I got the sound but no picture, Please help!!!
Category: TV
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Hi and thanks for using JustAnswer! Let me preface this post by saying that I understand your frustration. A few thousand people do, actually... as this is a fairly common problem.

You got audio but no video when you used the optical cable. That's good... that's what is supposed to happen. Optical audio cables transmit audio only... no video. Your result here means your Blu Ray player's audio output circuitry is behaving, though perhaps not the HDMI out (audio and video transmission over the same cable)... or that your RCA's HDMI input has malfunctioned. Or, and the first thing we need to look at... the cable itself could have failed (this is common).

So, step number one... try a different HDMI cable. If that doesn't work, we'll need to dig deeper into the player vs TV scenario.

It's easy to tell which is malfunctioning... you'll need to perform a substitution to verify serviceability. Once we can narrow the problem down to a particular device, we can troubleshoot that device.

So, I'll need you to plug your Blu Ray player into another TV with HDMI. If you don't have one, talk to a friend or neighbor. If it works as designed with their TV and the replacement cable didn't solve your issue, the problem lies in your TV.

Give this a try and post back with results.

Regards,
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The Blue Ray player was working fine with the current cable going from my blue ray player to my TV. I bought an extra cable so I can run my hdmi cable from my HD Cable box and Blue Ray player. Now with the RCA RT2906, I can get the sound from my Cable but not when I switch to the Blue Ray player. So it is not the hdmi cable going from the RCA to the TV, and it is not the cable going from the blue ray to the TV because like I said that worked when I didnt put the home theater in the middle of it. It must be a setting on RCA RT2906 or the blue ray player. Since RCA does not deem it appropiate to provide a customer service phone number, I wonder if it's the RCA home theatre just not being a very good home theatre
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
It's quite possible. RCA products aren't exactly top of the line anymore... I suppose they never really were. And you're right, their customer service is horrific.

The same troubleshooting steps hold true, though. If you substitute another TV for yours, all other things remaining the same... you'll see whether or not it's your TV. Accordingly for the Blu Ray player.

Regards,
Experience: USAF trained; A.A.S Electronics; A.A.S. Education; Currently teaching advanced troubleshooting and repair for the DoD.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I just plugged everything back the way I had it before I had the RCA RT2906 installedso the cables are working fine, the tv sound works fine with the cable input but not the BD input. Why cant I have the picture go through the hdmi cable and the audio going through the digital optical cable? It is the RCA unit that says that you can do that but wont do it when you try to set it up according to the instructions
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got it fixed. I ran the video cable to the tv and the set the RCA to use the optical cable for the sound. Thanks so much for being a sounding board. Now do I hit accept down there? Hmmmmm
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
So funny that you posted that... I was mid-post trying to tell you how to set the RCA for optical sound. Either way, I'm glad you got it fixed. I know how frustrating those types of things can be.

Whether or not you accept it entirely up to you. You can save your deposit for another question, or use it here.

Regards,