Brian- A/v guy
Brian- A/v guy, Executive Engineer
Experience:  8 years with technical A/V support for corporations.
30457723

Toshiba large screen tv, 10 years old, 60 inch, rear projection

Toshiba large screen tv, 10 years old, 60 inch, rear projection I believe, will not turn on or off with remote lately. Also, volume cannot be adjusted. Tried other remotes and none work. Problem seems to be with tv not remote control.
Category: TV
Expert:  Brian- A/v guy replied 4 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Brian- A/v guy :

Hi and thanks for asking your question.

Brian- A/v guy :

When this occurs it usually is caused by a faulty IR board. This is common and luckily inexpensive to replace. Can you give me the exact model of your TV?

Customer:

Hi Brian - Toshiba, Cinema Series 61". Model number is XXXXX in obvious place on front of TV and mounted inside a wall to difficult to access. TV is about 10 years old (4X3) and rear projection I believe. If we can figure out the model number, is this a part that I can order and replace myself or is that going to be difficult and need a repairman to do. Thank you for responding,

Brian- A/v guy :

If you have some mechanical inclination you should be able to replace this yourself. The part can be ordered from partstore.com or encompassparts.com and will cost less than $20 for the part. It is a small circuit board at the front of the TV near the front controls.

Brian- A/v guy :

If you should choose to do this yourself please be careful. There are dangerous amounts of voltage present inside your TV. Make sure and unplug the unit for at least a half hour before removing the rear casing on the TV.

Customer:

Thank you ... is sodering involved?

Brian- A/v guy :

No, there isn't soldering involved. Two cables plug into the board and two screws hold it in. That's it.

Customer:

Thank you. Can it be accessed from the front of the TV or do I have to pull the tv out of the cabinet to access it from the back? Just not sure where it is located.

Brian- A/v guy :

Without knowing the model #, I can't say for sure however you likely can access it from the front on many Toshiba projection units. Look for the glassy looking circle on the front of the TV. Underneath it is the IR receiver.

Customer:

Thanks anyway but had TV repairman out yesterday and he simply reset the code on the satelite receiver remote by entering a number in the remote control and worked fine after that.

Brian- A/v guy :

That's OK - I didn't know you were using a remote control other than what came with the TV.

Brian- A/v guy, Executive Engineer
Experience: 8 years with technical A/V support for corporations.