Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

how do you repair the picture tube in my screen tv

how do you repair the picture tube in my screen tv?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

model # XXXXX

5 years old

yes i have this problem with other devices hooked up to the tv

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

If you press the menu button on the tv itself, does the menu show?

Why are you saying that you have a bad picture tube?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The menu doesn't show. Nothing shows, you can only here the tv and that's it . That is way I say I have a bad picture tube.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Well your set actually has 3 picture tubes in it, but there are about 10 other things that can cause the symptom you are having. The most common failure in your set that causes sound but no picture is a faulty flyback transformer. Also the vertical circuit, power supply, ssb board, and video processing circuit can cause this symptom. If I had to put money on it though I would say the flyback transformer is your issue, we have changed so many of them it is not funny. The bad news here is that if this is determined to be the problem is that the flyback transformer (part number 312226832865) has been discontinued so there is no way to fix the problem because we cannot get the part. Now to determine the exact cause of your problem will require troubleshooting. If you have some experience and test equipment (mainly a meter) I can assist you in confirming this, if not though you will need a repairman at this point to verify this. If it is any of the other problems that I talked about then you can expect a repair of anywhere from $300-$500 depending on exactly what is wrong.

I am sorry for the bad news, I know you were hoping for a easier fix.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan