Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

All I can get on my TV is 480. It wont show the 1080 picture.

All I can get on my TV is 480. It won't show the 1080 picture. Is there a setting I am missing? When I go to the end, rather than the 2 antenna settings the sound comes on but the picture won't- I get the picture on Ant.1
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thank you for using justanswer.

To answer your question;

The resolution 1080,720 etc. is automatically reproduced by the tv set when it receives a signal sent in one of those and it is not adjustable.

On regular(analog) cable ,all the signals are in 480i , only digital cable and /or cable box with programs that are broadcasted in 1080i or p will be shown in those resolution.

And they usually are on pay per view programs/shows.

Now about the ant1 and 2 , i would need your tv`s model number to look into it.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It is on a Time Warner digital cable box
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

o.k How do you have it connected to your tv ?

Regular coax to the antenna terminal ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The coax goes from the box to a DVD and from the DVD to the TV
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.
Do you mean one single cable that goes to a dvd/vcr or dvd recorder ?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I was wrong. The cable goes from the cable box to the TV. There are cables between the cable box and DVD and DVD and TV but the single cable goes to the TV.
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

o.k in order to get the HD signal you need to connect your tv and cable box either with component(green/blue/red) YPbPr at the back of your cable box or use a HDMI cable.

Otherwise your tv will only get analog/low resolution signal.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
In what order are the color connections on both the cable box and TV?
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.
If you could give me your tv`s brand name and model number along with the cable box model number i should be able to tell you exactly how to set it up.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Mitsubishi Sigital TV Model # XXXXX 57734

Cable box Scientific America Explorer 8240 HD

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

O.k another question;

Do you have a HDMI cable or 5 rca type cables (3for the video and 2 for the audio) ?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just found the problem- I had the cavle on the DVD and the cable box switched. Thank you!

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

O.k but the best way will be to use a HDMI cable to connect your tv.

Let me know if you have any questions before(or after)you accept my answer since i found all the documents you need here.

Cheers

Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech