Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

I recently bought a Vizio sound bar and spdif cable to hook

I recently bought a Vizio sound bar and spdif cable to hook to my Philips 42'' TV. The spdif cable connects to the sound bar but does not connect to the spdif out connection. What do I need to for digital sound?

Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

Are you saying that the TV does not have an optical out? Can you tell me the model number of the Phillips and the sound bar?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My tv has an spdif out and trying to connect to the Vizio sound bar 200. My tv model number is XXXXX I bought a spdif cable and it hooks to the sound bar but it does not hook to the tv via the spdif out slot.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

Ok, there are two types of SPDIF jack.

They are shown here:

The one on the left is known as a coaxial, the other is an optical.

I assume that you don't have a matching pair - i.e. one on the TV and a similar one on the soundbar??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.
So can you tell me what you do have please?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Sorry, I have both... The SPDIF out (the coaxial I think) is on the tv and the optical is on the sound bar. I can connect to the sound bar but not the tv.
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

That stinks.

Ok, easy fix. You need to buy a coax to optical converter. It is about $30 and you can buy one here:

Let me know if you need more info.

Please don't forget to click ACCEPT to help my rating on 'Just Answer' and let me know if I can help you further. I will be here if you need more help, info or have a follow up comment or question. It is the only way that I get paid for my time and research and it does not close our dialog together...we can continue with your issue. Please also consider a bonus. Bonuses are...well...they're a bonus!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks for you reply. While your answer was helpful, I still needed another cable which was not mentioned during this session.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I bought the converter and it still doesn't work... Can you help?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.
I'm not sure that I can. You are getting no sound from the digital cable going into the soundbar?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I got it to work only for the regular stations and not the HD. The user manual said to change the PCM setting in the TV but I don't have that option. The other option the user manual gives is to use the analog. The problem with that is the audio coming out of the tv is not analog.