Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics

mitsubishi wd52525 blinking timer light no picture

Customer Question

Category: TV
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Hello, did you notice anything unusual before the TV stopped working? Storms, power failure, noises in the set?

Have there been any previous repairs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
lightning then the screen was green
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
The screen turned green after a lightning storm? Then you pushed Reset and the light continues to flash but never stops?

Have there been any previous repairs?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i was thinking the light box
Expert:  Steve replied 3 years ago.
Okay, thank you. When the timer light continues to flash and never stops, this indicates the Digital Module in the TV is not booting up. The problem is caused by bad (weak) capacitors on the PC boards throughout the electronic chassis. These parts usually first show bad after the TV has lost power. The storm may have accelerated the failure, but these capacitors are certainly bad if they have never been replaced.

If you were to keep the TV plugged in, and push (System) Reset periodically (every five minutes or so), it may eventually boot up and turn on. Hopefully these parts will build up enough to work at least one more time; but, the next time the power flickers, it will do exactly the same thing. Eventually the problem will get worse until it will not boot up again (which may be now). If it does start working again, please remember to save this information for later when you need it. Unfortunately, this is the best option to try without repairing the TV.

To repair this reliably, all the bad capacitors must be replaced throughout the electronic chassis. This can be a rather complicated, time-consuming repair. If needed, I can provide photos of the boards with the capacitors highlighted to show the extent of the problem.

This is a very common problem in this Mitsubishi TV series: every one of these TVs I have seen in the past year or so have all had the same problem. Mitsubishi does not have individual boards for these sets and if they did they would be expensive.

Instead, they have a rebuild program for the entire electronic chassis: the chassis is removed and sent to Mitsubishi and they will replace all the capacitors and the other parts that commonly fail. The last time I checked, the price of the rebuild was $300.00 (plus tax and labor). Usually labor is in the $200-250 range (in my area).

I recommend contacting Mitsubishi XXXXX at (NNN) NNN-NNNN to ask about the rebuild program. I also recommend asking Mitsubishi to cover the cost of the repair. They may very well cover the cost of the rebuild (I have "heard" there may be a class-action lawsuit brewing over these sets): they may offer to pay for the rebuild only, but it doesn't hurt to ask for the labor cost, too. It is also possible for Mitsubishi to offer you a new TV at a reduced cost. You may need to be insistent, and make several calls, but Mitsubishi is well known for being very helpful (hint). You may not want to mention the lightning storm, however.

Important: Usually Mitsubishi requires one of their authorized servicers to check the TV on-site first, before they will offer a concession (even though they already know exactly what is wrong with it). It is best to have an estimate of the repair from the technician before you call Mitsubishi.

If needed, your nearest authorized Mitsubishi servicer can be found by entering your information on this page:

http://direct.where2getit.com/cwc/apps/w2gi.php?template=search_new&client=mitsuservicer#?mid=174138

On the other hand, some repairmen will advise that you not repair the set. Considering that some top name 60" DLP TVs now sell for around $1200 or less, it would be a very tough decision for me (if I had to pay for the full repair out of pocket).

It's not good news, but it is the truth. Even if the TV does eventually boot up and turn on, please remember to save this information for later when you need it: these failing parts are not going to get any better. Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can help in any way.