Matthew H
Matthew H, Engineer
Experience:  B.S. EE, Web Developer, and Network Consultant

I am trying to get my Toshiba Blu-Ray DVD with WiFi to play

I am trying to get my Toshiba Blu-Ray DVD with WiFi to play Netflix. When I go to the Netflix connection it asks me to make a connection with my computer which I do using the eathernet router. Once I have connection, it still does not show the netflix code needed.
It trys to connect but stops with the message "Connection to established, Resolving DNS could not be established"

What to do now?

This sounds like a problem with your router, and not with your Blu-Ray player.

Do you have your wireless settings all correct? Do you have laptops that can connect to the wireless?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

My step daughter is the only one that uses a laptop wireless connection and has had no problem for the last two years. She is no longer in the house currently. I have only gotten the WiFi this week so have not needed to use the router before now.

The bluray identifies the router (and two other neighbors as well) and allows me to enter the router ID and is happy it seems, until I try to connect through Netflixs.

Do you know if your wi-fi signal has a password XXXXX encryption? This also needs to be entered or it will not connect sucessfully. Your step daughter might be able to tell you the password XXXXX you are not sure.

Other things to try are resetting the router and making sure your signal strength is strong enough. 100 feet is about the maximum your router should be away.

Edited by Matthew H on 7/28/2010 at 6:47 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have the password XXXXX entered it into the WIFi screen when asked. It acknowledged the number and showed a CONNECTED sign. Then when I try to use th WiFi it gives me the reolving DNS could not established.

The router is about 20 feet away through two indoor walls.

How would I strengthen the signel? It is a netgear 54 mbps router from Time Warner Cable

Have you tried unplugging the router and plugging it back in? Sometimes DNS issues are caused by a hung-up router. Also unplug the cable modem and plug that back in.

If that fails too, you will need to re-configure your router with some settings. I can help you if resetting fails.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I have unplugged and plugged everything attached to the router. I have moved the router up away from the computer box, still no luck. The DNS message is the continuing result.

Reconfiguring misght be the only answer. You assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Please post the router model that you have so i can look up the settings.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Netgear 54 mbps wireless router WGR614 v7-VC

That's it

Here is a PDF of the manual

1) Go to

2) When prompted, enter admin for the router user name and password for the router password. You may have changed these settings for added security, those are the default values.

3) Go to "Basic Settings". Look at the lower part of the page where it says "DNS address" You want it to be Automatic from ISP

4) Press Apply

Next you will need to check your wireless settings

1) Go to Wireless settings

2) Look at the SSID, this is the name of your wireless network

3) Look under passphrase, this is the password XXXXX set for connections

Let me know if you understood

any luck?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I sent a response early yesterday. I checked all the settings and they were what you had suggested. I reentered them and "applied" them. Then I ran a "test" and Netgear said I had DNS. However, I am still unable to get the WiFi to "resolve DNS".

No luck

Alright we really need to find out if it's the Wi-Fi or if its the router.

Here is a test, I would recommend plugging an ethernet cord into the blu-ray player and see if that works. It should need no password XXXXX should automatically connect to the internet. See if you get that same error.

If you do get a DNS error, we can say that the problem lies in the router. If there is no error, then the problem lies in either the blu-ray player or in the wi-fi setup. It is possible you have a bad wi-fi card in your blu-ray player and you may need to return it.

You say you have gotten on wireless internet before with no problems, as long as these settings remain unchanged, I would not suspect the router as the problem. There is also a very small chance it could be your internet service, but usually they resolve DNS issues in a day or so.

Edited by Matthew H on 7/29/2010 at 2:30 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I was not able to make the direct connection, but with help from the network provider I was able to make th econnection. I had to disable the security code for the router!

Thank you for you assistance.