Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician

Hi, we have a HP PL5060N plasma TV that will not power on.

Hi, we have a HP PL5060N plasma TV that will not power on. It was working fine this morning, but this afternoon/evening it will not power on either with the remotes (neither TV or satelite remote) and will not turn on when you push the power button on the TV. Have tried the unplug, replug in idea, but still nothing.
Category: TV
Expert:  Rick williams replied 6 years ago.
Chat Conversation Started
Rick williams :

Hello friend, Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem, And possibly help you save on these Labor charges today, So please don’t Accept my answer unless you are satisfied,

(Please click on high lighted words) this is my sample may not be the same model but doesn’t matter the technology is the same.

Would like for you to take your meter and place it on DC voltage the positive end on every connector that says a voltage and the negative wire to the panel this is the best ground. Turn on and see if the voltage is present at the VS, VA, V-scan, According to the Label. Also if a voltage is missing remove each board from the power supply to make sure they are not holding down the voltage If you don’t find one that’s trying to climb, or shows close to what it should be, another method is to locate a short circuit place meter on ohms or beep test follow same procedure no voltage should be shorted to ground. And this is the problem. You can unplug each board one at a time, Starting with the Y-SUS then the Z-SUS.

Friend this is a very common problem with plasma. Within

the power supply the capacitors

Start to fail and the way you can tell is to check them visually for swelling or expanding of the top.

It will be easy to see the bad caps will not be as flat on the top as the good ones

Normally the parts for this unit is a kit Y-SUSTAIN AND Z-SUSTAIN BOARD, this is what most manufacturers

would want you to do, purchase them. But go to high lighted words and go through all the voltage checks to find the bad part, here is also a chart that should help a lot, also this is a picture that will help

Simplified click here

with identity.

Well Good luck friend, and if my efforts are appreciated, feedback and a bonus will be appreciated

Customer :

So this is a common plasma issue. But this seems still a little "high tech" for me to do. Scared to take the back off the TV and I have no voltage meter.

Rick williams :

I see, well my info will help out your tech,, i wish you luck friend

Thank you...I will have them see your info...

i wish you well friend