Steve G., Technician
Experience:  VP of electronic repair company. Audio nut.

How do I connect external speakers to my Samsung television

How do I connect external speakers to my Samsung television model
LN40A650A1F? What type and size connectors do I use? Which ports on the TV do I use?
Category: TV
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

Hi and welcome to Just Answer. I'm sorry to hear about your TV. I will try my best to give you a precise and accurate answer.

This model has a headphone jack. You can use that to output an analog audio signal.

What kind of speakers are you planning to use? Are they self powered?

Let me know and I'll complete my answer.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I have large Awai speakers. They are not self powered. I don't think the headphone jack can push much power out. There are several ports on the back, but I dont know which ones to use. Also, what kind and size connectors should I use?
Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

Ok, so you need something to power the speakers.

You would need to buy a cheap receiver, maybe a used one. Best Buy has some for $229:

Here's how its done.

The TV has an optical audio output (like all most new TVs). You simply run an optical cable from the TV to the receiver.

Or, if you buy a cheap receiver with no optical input, you can use the headphone jack and purchase a 3.5mm to RCA adapter like this one:

Does that make sense? Let me know.

Please don't forget to click ACCEPT to help my rating on 'Just Answer' and let me know if I can help you further. I will be here if you need more help, info or have a follow up comment or question. It is the only way that I get paid for my time and research and it does not close our dialog together...we can continue with your issue. Please also consider a bonus. Bonuses are...well...they're a bonus!!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

They are not recievers. They are 2 Awia 150 watt sterio speakers. There is only one earohone jack. How would I connect two speakers to that?

Can I run optical audio output cables from the TV directly to my speakers? If so, please give me specifications and size for the cable.

Expert:  Steve G. replied 6 years ago.

You can't use speakers without amplification unless they are self powered.

You need an amplifier or receiver of some kind between the TV and the speakers.

On the back of the speakers are there any kind of connections other than the speaker wire terminals? If the answer is 'no' then the speakers are 'regular' speakers and need amplification.

Check for me.