Brian- A/v guy
Brian- A/v guy, Executive Engineer
Experience:  8 years with technical A/V support for corporations.

I have a Magnavox zv457mg9 disc recorder & dvd player;when

I have a Magnavox zv457mg9 disc recorder & dvd player;when the DVD option is chosen I have audio when I choose the vcr I have no audio. When i choose the sey up option I have audio when the options are being shown. I changed the audio video cables from the vcr to the tv it did not help any ideas thanks Raymond Kent

I'm Gina, a Moderator for JustAnswer. :)

Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
2. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully
3. the question may be unclear

Please feel free to re-word your question or add additional information you might feel helpful for the Experts to assist you.
If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

JustAnswer Moderator
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi, I have a Magnavox ZV457MG9 Digital Video Disc Recorder & Video Cassette Recorder With Digital Tuner. When I choose the VCR option I have no sound coming from the speakers. When I choose the DVD option I get sound from the speakers. When I choose the Set Up option from the remote, and the setup screen is on, I get sound from the speakers when I hit return to go back to the DVD. option, to watch TV or a video I get no sound from the speakers.The serial number is XXXXX
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Doyou have any idea what's wrong with my VCR.?

Hi and thank for asking your question. Can you tell me how you have your DVD/VCR hooked to your TV?

Here is a picture of the back of your unit - are you using the left circled set or the right circled set of audio jacks?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I am using the right set of jacks,the VCR has been working for about two years just fine, the sound just stopped working a couple of days ago.

Knowing that you had it working fine until recently makes a world of difference in your diagnosis.

You mentioned that while in the menu, the audio works fine - this is actually opposite of what is supposed to occur with this unit. It was designed so that while you are in the setup menu the audio is supposed to mute instead.

There are a couple of things you can try, but the unit may have to be serviced to fix your problem.

1) On the remote press the "audio" button (fifth row down, far right button). Press this button while playing back a few times to see if the audio starts to work normally.

2) Unplug the unit from the wall for at least one hour. This will reset all internal functions and possibly reset the audio problem as well.

Unfortunately at the user level, this is all that can be done to try to fix your unit at home. Further repair would need to be performed by a repair technician.

Brian- A/v guy, Executive Engineer
Experience: 8 years with technical A/V support for corporations.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Brian, Thanks I unplugged the unit for an hour plugged it back in it worked fine.
Great! - Glad to hear the fix was successful.