Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

The red dot on my LG TV is flashing and I cant get it to come

The red dot on my LG TV is flashing and I cant get it to come on. I have unplugged it and tried different things but the red light continues to flash and the tv will not come on. How do I get the tv on again?
Category: TV
Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm Gina, a Moderator for JustAnswer. :)

Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
2. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully
3. the question may be unclear

Please feel free to re-word your question or add additional information you might feel helpful for the Experts to assist you.
If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best,
Gina
JustAnswer Moderator
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My TV cannot come on no matter what I try. The on light is a flashing red dot. I have tried to unplug and plug back into the wall. The tv is a LG model 32LX1D.
Expert:  Louie replied 4 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, have you tried unplugging the unit for an extended period of time (say a couple of hours). In most instances, this would force the unit to revert to factory defaults removing glitches and any configuration errors as well as memories, presets and user preferences. Additionally, determine if the blinking red light follows a pattern/sequence with a slight pause in between or does it just blinks continously.

Offhand, the flashing red light is indicative that the TV has kicked into auto-protect mode. The built-in diagnostics has sensed a hardware fault and prevented the unit from turning ON to prevent further damage. Possible suspects:
  • the panel itself (least likely);
  • main board (likely);
  • power supply (most likely).

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if very familiar with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe working practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to seek the services of an authorized Service Center (specially if still under some form of extended warranty) or a qualified professional.

If a DIY is being considered:
  • determine if the fan is spinning;
  • a common fault on this model would be failed capacitors. Capacitors tend to dry, leak or get cooked over time. A sure indicator would be bulging top, split plastic wrapping, cracked X or Y indentations on the top;
  • alternately, the power supply may require close inspection. In most instances, a replacement is required. To give you an idea, view a replacement here;
  • the fault finding flow chart in the Service Manual should be of help. It would not be to your advantage to be replacing boards without a confirmation through voltage checks/comparison even if most board replacements are readily available as shown here;
  • while the fan, capacitors or board replacement would seem relatively an easy fix, it is getting access to most board/components that would be a challenge. All the boards are held in place and covered with shielding/cover under the back cover with the wiring just taped to the frame / chassis.

Good luck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.

Edited by Benimur on 7/5/2010 at 3:57 PM EST
Louie, Technician
Experience: 25+ yrs. experience in the field and 3+ yrs. online, down to component level.