PramitP
PramitP, Technician
Experience:  Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University

MY POLAROID TV DOES NOT TURN ON

Customer Question

MY POLAROID TV DOES NOT TURN ON
Category: TV
Expert:  PramitP replied 4 years ago.

First of all welcome to Justanswer. My name is Pramit. Before I start, have you tried unplugging the TV for 4-5 hours? How old is the TV? Does this happen while using other inputs as well?

Regards.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No, not for 4-5 hours. TV made December 2007; Serial #: PR7DA185540000045.

YES, It just does not turn.

Why should I need to unplug for 4-5 hours?

I need to know what I need to do to repair it.

Could you send me a step by step list of my Troubleshootings steps of what l must do to assist you in answering my question.

And/or a Schematics diagram of this TV perhaps to locate and replace the fuses.

The above answer does not explain the rationale. Please tell me why I am taking the steps when you reply.

Expert:  PramitP replied 4 years ago.
Okay Mr. Williams you need to unplug it for 4-5 hours because that would be kind of a hard reset. That would also allow the capacitors to discharge. I'll be assisting you step by step for troubleshooting. Since I don't have a service manual for this particular set, I will try looking for online sellers. Prior to that, can you tell me what is the color of the power indicator LED when your power ON the TV?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It just stays black, no color change.
Expert:  PramitP replied 4 years ago.
Okay and do you hear any clicking noise?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I am trying to Relist this question. I lost my internet services due to Verizon transitioning my account to a new ISP or servicer. In response to your reply: My TV does not make and noise or sound, it just repond. The LED stays BLACK. Here's is some more information: My TV has a builtin DVD Player which wa clicking and played the DVD disc intermittently and it also stopped playing and Kept my last Disc. This happened just prior to MY TV stopped, but I had switched the Input to my Satelite (HDMI) line and/or signal. I think that the DVD player kept running even though It was Deselected. This could have caused the problem as reported by other users. I hope that you get this info because I still need help.

George

Expert:  PramitP replied 4 years ago.
Hello George, thanks for all the info. One more thing, when you turn the TV on, the color of the power light(ON/OFF light) doesn't change at all? If that is the case then it could be as simple as an open fuse. Let me know after checking.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I just found out where the power supply fuse is located. I can't tell if it's blown but I am on my way to purchase and replace it now. I'll let you know what happens after this step is done.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

PramitP

I replaced the fuse that's near the power cord connection. The results were there was not any change.

Since then I have removed the rear cover but have not opened/exposed the main board yet. I found a service Manual for the POLAROID TLA 0411C that's very similar to my TV. Hence, I was able to open the TV up to the Main Board but I don't what to do next.

I will try to email you from my email and attach this manual in a PDF format.

George

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

PramitP,

HERE IS SOME ADDITIONAL INFO RELATED TO MY POLAROID LCD TV:

ON THE BACK OF THE MAIN PANAL BOARD;

MODEL NO. PV320TVM

A11H

PRODUCT NO: 7315XW02V9

320A BLB71201028514

PROVIEW TECHNOLOGY CO. LIMITED MADE IN CHINA

HOPE THIS HELPS

GEORGE

Expert:  PramitP replied 3 years ago.
Okay I have the info. It looks like the power supply is not working. Do you see any bulging capacitors?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

PramitP,

I am not familiar with "Buldging Capacitors" what would it look like, is there anything that would help me to identify one.

I am a novice in this area but I agree that the power supply is the problem because there is no power to either the TV nor the DVD player. Both are separate components which receives power from the same source. My troubleshooting flowchart end point is to replace the "Control Box".

If you would help me as referenced above and/or help me find the correct Control Box and it's source. I think that this issue can be closed.

This has been a learning experience for me and I appreciate your help. You didn't just leave me hanging and you should be paid as agreed.

George

Expert:  PramitP replied 3 years ago.
Hi George, click here to look at bulging capacitors. That should help you to identify a bulging capacitor. Why do you want to replace the control box? Do you have a multimeter? You will need to check the connection between power board and the main board and also the power board output. Most of the times there are swollen caps which need replacement. First of all if you are planning to repair the board make sure to have clean flat surface to place the TV after removing the stand and back. A slight pressure on the panel might be enough to crack it. The capacitors come with a mfd rating like 1000mfd 50V or 1000mfd 60V etc. the mfd part should be constant. DO NOT replace with a capacitor of different rating. The 50V/60V is the voltage rating. The mentioned rating is the minimum you should go with but if you can then go with a higher rating.
PramitP, Technician
Experience: Diploma in Electrical and Electronics from AVV University
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks,

This information has been beneficial to me and I'll accept your answer. I just found my Order Confirmation and Invoice. I purchased an extended Warranty and I am now in the process of returning my TV for a Replacement TV.

Hence, I don't ned to attempt to repair it. I have been Blessed.

George

Expert:  PramitP replied 3 years ago.
That's great. Goodluck and thanks for the acceptance. And yes you can pay a bonus.

Edited by PramitP on 7/27/2010 at 3:59 PM EST