Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.

How do you program channels on a old RCA TV, model G27342WK

Customer Question

How do you program channels on a old RCA TV, model G27342WK? I don't have a manual, and it belongs to an elderly relative who lives 100 miles away so I'd like to be able to set the channels properly when I visit.
Category: TV
Expert:  Gina-Mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm Gina, a Moderator for JustAnswer. :)

Thanks for your question! I'm sorry that you haven't received an answer yet. The response rate on JustAnswer is usually over 95%, but sometimes questions go un-answered when:

1. the question may be unclear
2. the question seems to request an answer for something that cannot be explained online adequately
3. the Experts that are online simply don't have the resources to answer your question fully

Please feel free to re-word your question or add additional information you might feel helpful for the Experts to assist you.
If you would still like to receive an answer from an Expert, just let me know, and I will do my best to assist you by finding an Expert to help you.

If you have any questions regarding deposits or billing, please feel free to use the help link below:

http://www.justanswer.com/help/contact.aspx

Best,
Gina
JustAnswer Moderator
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

My understanding is that you can program up to 125 channels on this model. I've done this on some of the TVs that I've owned in the past. Typically, there is a pretty straightoforward procedure described in a manual for doing this, e.g. tune to the desired channel and push this button,or let the tuner run,stop it at undesired channel, press this button to block the undesired channel, etc. My relative does not have a manual; I haven't been able to download one via the internet, and I'd like to take care of this on one trip. I don't want to just use the trial and error method in the event that I screw something up, (like erase all her current settings) and have to make another trip back. Hope this helps.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-Do they still have the original remote that came with the tv? The RCA remote?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim:

I think it is the original but its hard to get straight answers based on the mental condition of my relative (very old Aunt). Let's assume that she has the original. Also, she wants to get channels 45-50. When she uses the remote and puts press 5-0; she momentarily gets the station and then it blurs. A cable tech stopped in the other day and said that there was nothing wrong with the cable but that it was a TV problem. I still think that I just need to program in 45-50 and she'll be set.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok now this changes things...you are saying that she can key in any channel between 45 and 50 and they will show for a second then go to snow? do all channels below 45 and above 50 work?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim:

Correct. She just told me that she gets stations above 50 and below 45 but nothing in between. And she confirmed to me that she does have the original remote.

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Well I am sorry to burst your idea but unfortunately I do not believe this is a programming issue. The programming has nothing to do with you actually keying in a station. The set does not require any programming to be able to push 4-6 and get channel 46 to show.

I do believe what you have here is a failing turner. These tuners work in bands, so any time we see a group of channels clumped together that are not showing it leads us to believe that the band responsible for those channels is failing. This is also a common failure in these older sets, as they age the tuners do fail quite often.

Now the bad news here is that this would run around $250-$300 to have replaced and with the prices of new sets coming down so low, I think you would be better off replacing the set rather than repairing it. I am sorry to bring bad news, I know you were hoping for a quick and easy fix.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience: Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Tim:

when 46 or 50 is pushed, it does stay on momentarily and then the pictures resorts to "snow". Is this a symptom of a bad tuner?

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Definitely, very classic symptom....either bad tuner or something wrong with the cable signal coming in but you already had that checked so that leaves us with tuner.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks for your help, Tim.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

No problem, sorry for the bad outcome.

Tim