TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

Philips TV, Model #25F800 7583 - Bottom/Top out of screen.

Customer Question

I have a Philips TV, Model #25F800 7583. There is a second Model #PL9125C221. Manufactured June of 2000. The picture is missing the top/ bottom. I had a cable DVR hooked up to a different tv and it was working fine. When I changed out the tv to this Philips model, what we used to see at the bottom of the screen is now not visable as it's out of the range of the screen. I have been told that I need the master remote to change this. I bought the master remote and it didn't come with a manual. I've been told the manual for the remote is in the same manual that is for the tv itself. I have been working on fixing this issue all day. It's difficult to find any information on this tv because of it's age. Long story short, I still can't figure out how to change it the screen size. I have looked for anything that says "format" or "picture size" but haven't found it. I found info on how to get to the service menu but don't know what the 2 letter abbreviations mean. Can someone help me so that I can see the entire picture on my tv? Can I change it by simply changing the settings on the service menu? Thanks!
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Just looked again as I had no idea how old it was. It says June 2000

We only have one device hooked up to it and that is a cable box... DVR. That is how we first noticed it was the bar at the bottom of the screen with information in it wasn't showing up. Then we noticed by commercials that we have seen before.

Thanks for the help.

Kista

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

You have black on all 4 sides or just the bottom?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Maybe I'm not being clear.... let me try to explain again. There isn't any black showing on the screen at all. It's almost like the entire picture is zoomed in. I know that I can get to the service menu, if that helps. The problem is that I don't know what those 2 letter things mean. For example, SY or SS.....SB or EC..... AO (on or off)....DU....LB...UV... BL... etc. Not sure if any of these things will help... there are a lot more of these 2 letter things that I don't know what they mean. <shrug>

In case you are talking about the outside of the screen... there is black on all four sides. <grin>

Kista

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

So this problem started after you put a cable box in?

When you tried the zoom and format controls, did you only try the ones on the tv remote or did you look for some on the cable box remote as well?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

No... I had a different tv hooked up to this same cable box. The cable box was fine and still is if we rehook it up to another tv.

I didn't try any zoom or format controls. I can't find the controls to try it. That is the problem. The picture is as if the whole picture is zoomed in on. It needs to be pulled out for me to see the entire picture that is showing from the cable box.

I actually had the cable company come out first to see if they could do something about this and they said it was a tv issue. I tried in on the other tv I have and it looks fine. <shrug>

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

I have been researching this but your set is so old it is hard to get good information on....

can you try hooking a DVD player up to the tv and see if it has the same problem? I need to know that it does it on two devices...that way we can know what to do next.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Believe me... I know. This has been my problem. I have been working on this all day today. I'm in and out right now. I'm an officer here in the complex and I have to be out the monitoring things. I started this question hours ago hoping that it would only take 30 mins or so. <laugh> So, I appoligize that my response is taking so long at this point.

I am having a hard time hooking anything up to it right now. I'll see what I can do as we go.

Can you tell me what all those 2 letter things mean?? It may be as easy as changing something on there. I just hesitate to do anything without knowing what I'm doing.

Kista

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I hooked up a DVD player and it's the same thing. <shrug>

Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok due to the age of your set I have not come up with the information I want to give to you....I do not think you need to go into the service menu to change the geometry of the set. You can go in and change the horizontal width and the vertical hight but it will crunch the picture in and might be worse then what you have now.

There is normally an easier way to do what you want to do but with your set being so high in age I cannot get the info I want for you.

At this point I am going to opt out and let some other experts look at this and see if they know what you need.

Thanks,

Tim