TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

My Sony Bravia LCD has a 1 thick black line going horizontal

Customer Question

My Sony Bravia LCD has a 1" thick black line going horizontal thru the middle of my screen. (sort of like it separates the picture from top and bottom)

Can you tell me what that could be?
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 4 years ago.

Hi!

This doesn't sound good. I need the full model number of the TV to help you, it should start with a "K".

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
KDL-46XBR2 LCD

If you haven't tried it, unplug the power cord for the set for 30 seconds, plug it back in, and see if that fixes anything. It's a long shot, but you have to rule it out first.

But if not, if you press the TV's MENU button (not a cable or satellite box menu), does the black bar interfere with the menu or is the menu OK?

Let me know!

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I don't have issues anymore with that Sony Bravia that I had a question about. Instead, I bought a Samsun HP-S5073 that has a problem as well. This TV screen will just go blank (sound still works while blank), and this could happen for 5 minutes or 1 hour, but then will return the picture like nothing happened.

Any idea what this can be?

I'm not familiar with that model, I can't find it on the Samsung web site. Can you double check the model number? Is this a plasma TV? How old is it?

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

This is what I found on the Samsung Website, I just downloaded the manual. Have you ever heard of this issue before?

http://www.samsung.com/us/support/detail/supportPrdDetail.do?menu=SP12&prd_mdl_cd=&prd_mdl_name=HP-S5073&prd_ia_sub_class_cd=P

No, I'm not as much of a Samsung expert as Sony.

But when this happens, if you press the Samsung's MENU button, can you get the Samsung on screen menu to come on?

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I'll have to get back to you on this one. I'm not there. Someone mentioned a "PC" Board, but I'm not even sure what that is or if that's even the correct description of the proper Board.

If there's a problem, then it will most likely be on a PC board and hopefully, not the plasma panel.

If the menu doesn't come up, check to see if the panel is "primed". You'll have to be in a darkened room, it should look like a very faint glow. If you turn the set off, you should immediartely see the difference between black screen on and black screen with the set turned off.

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

If it's "primed", then that would be the faint glow? If that's the case, what do you think?

If it's black and no glow, what do you think for that as well.

The Plasma panel is the main ingredient? This can't be fixed or replaced? Or not worth it?

It probably wouldn't be worth repair if it's the panel, byut they don't usually fail by going out completely, or if they do, they aren't usually intermittent like yours.

If it's primed, yes, that would be the faint glow. If it does that but no Samsung menu, then the power supply and sustain boards are probably OK, and the problem would be in the signal electronics.

Chuck

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Last question to you. (I should check the menu before anything else), but if it's the signal Electronics, is that a Board that would be an easy replacement?

As I say, I'm not as familiar with this specific TV, but generally, the answer is yes, the board should not be too big of a deal to replace if you have a little electronics experience.

Chuck