Steve
Steve, Technician
Experience:  Over 40 years experience ISCET Certified in Biomedical & Consumer Electronics
22470440

What could be the reason why my tv will not turn on Ive

What could be the reason why my tv will not turn on????? I've had it about 2 years and heard that Samsung is the best and the thing will not even turn on anymore.
Hello, on the back of the TV, do you see a label with a Version number?

Does the standby light on the front flash when you try to turn it on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
This is a 36" Samsung HD Tv......Has a great picture on it when it can be turned on....Just all of a sudden, I came home from work a few weeks ago and the tv would not turn on, either by the remote or by the on-off switch..I thought it was my cable company, so I rebooted the cable box which they suggested and when I did this it took about 20 tries before it came on ( new batteries were placed in the remote) Then the same thing happened about a few days later. Then, like I said, I was afraid to turn it off until last night and I tried immediately to turn it back on and it did come on. But it has been off all day today and when I came home from work, no go, will not turn on at all.....:::????
Okay, thank you. The power supplies in these later model Samsung TVs have been failing rather quickly and can cause the problem you are seeing (it's very common). If you are comfortable working inside the set, a replacement power supply is available from www.encompassparts.com; however, it is always a good idea to first confirm a bad part with appropriate test equipment (multimeter, oscilloscope, etc.).

There were two slightly different power supplies used in these sets, part numbers: BN44-00191B and BN44-00208A. Here is a photo of the power supply (BN44-00191B):

graphic

The actual board used in your set will be labeled on the board itself (usually near the edge). Here are two examples:

graphic

If the original board in your TV is part number: BN44-00191B, please use substitute board BN44-00192B. This part is in stock at Encompass for $62.51 (after returning the old board). Here is a link to the part page:

https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnumber=7707559

If the original board in your TV is part number: BN44-00208A, this part is also in stock at Encompass for $52.93 (no need to return the old board). Here is a link to the part page:

https://www.encompassparts.com/webwiz/wwiz.asp?wwizmstr=WEB.SEE&partnumber=7729521&smodel=LN32A330J1DXZA

If you were to have this part replaced by a servicer, the labor should be in the $75-100 range (in my area).

It is also possible that only the electrolytic capacitors on the power supply are bad (very common on Samsung). If these capacitors have swollen or dried, simply replacing these may repair the power supply. If you wish to repair this yourself, soldering equipment and very good soldering skills are required to change these parts. Also, most of these TVs are now using lead-free solder for assembly.

graphic

If a local shop were to replace just the capacitors, the repair cost should be in the $100-150 range (in my area). Repairing the existing board is preferred (if possible) because a replacement board may have the same quality parts that failed so quickly the first time. If only the capacitors are bad on the board, these can be replaced with a higher voltage, higher quality capacitor for much longer life.

Of course, it never hurts to call Samsung to see if they will extend your warranty since so many of these TVs are failing. Being insistent may help (hint): 1-800-SAMSUNG

Please let me know if you have any questions, or if I can help in any way.