TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.

The Lamp Light on my 65 Toshiba DLP 1080p HD TV is blinking,

Customer Question

The Lamp Light on my 65" Toshiba DLP 1080p HD TV is blinking, and contineus to blink after the bulb is replaced. The lamp door is shut, and occassionally, the television will work for 15 minutes or so before shutting off and the lamp lihgt comes on again. The fan appears to be running.
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 6 years ago.

The behavior you are describing makes me think you have lost pressure in your NEW bulb....when they lose pressure, they are HARD to start, and then they Work OK for a while, then they go out again, and it may actually start up and run again...sometimes they run fine for hours and then blank out.

They always seem to start hard when cold.

Is that what you have been getting?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I've never seen it start up and run again after it's gone out but I've not left it on for more than 15/20 minutes after it's gone out. Sometimes when I turn it on the tv will turn on, but other times the lamp light will simply flash and nothing will turn on.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 6 years ago.

Ok -- Pull out your lamp and LOOK at the glass...especially the reflective part and NEAR the bottom of the bulb....

You should NOT SEE any white milky substance on the glass at all. If you do, then you do have a loss of Mercury Gas from the lamp.

That lamp has about 1000 lbs of pressure in it, it's easy for a lamp to lose pressure thru a small crack or one of the seals, and especially after a month of operation too....

Now you could TRY THIS....

If you remove the lamp door, stick a toothpick into that small hole to hold down the door's Microswitch....then have someone start up the TV for you....

Now normally you should see the lamp light and STAY lit....

What I have seen happen is the lamp will light, then within two minutes of starting, it goes out and restarts, goes out, restarts over and over.

A good lamp stays LIT all the time.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

It doesn't appear that there is any milky white substance on the bulb glass.

The television won't turn on when the lamp light is blinking, so I can't check it while it's on. Is there another way that I can check if my bulb is good or bad? I tried using a multimeter to check for continuity and couldn't find a resistance. I checked the resistance on a bulb from another projection TV and couldn't find one either.

Is there a chance that when I bought the new bulb it was bad already or can a TV burn through one that quick?

Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 6 years ago.

Well you can try this...

Pull out the lamp, hold down the door switch, have someone turn on the TV while you LISTEN very carefully.

A Lamp power supply will Bzzzzzzt 3 times before the TV shuts down. It should Bzzzzt about every 30 seconds.

If it does that, then you know the power supply is doing it's job. Of course you DID state " and occassionally, the television will work for 15 minutes or so before shutting off and the lamp lihgt comes on again"

That tells me your power supply is ok, so that leaves only the lamp

Maybe you bought a $ 90 lamp instead of the $150 lamp...