Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.
13948492

My TV a Sharp LC32D40U, turns on, theres sound, but no picture.

Customer Question

My TV a Sharp LC32D40U, turns on, there's sound, but no picture. I can hear the channel i put on fine, but pic is black. Please can you tell me what parts need to be replaced.

Thank you for your help.

Ivan
[email protected]
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, this Sharp model is an LCD type TV. A simple test is to shine a flashlight at an angle towards the blackened screen. Aim towards the area where the volume level is usually shown. Press on the volume control Up/Down. If semblance of the level could be seen even darkly, then the problem with the Sharp would be a backlighting issue. Backlight as the term implies, refers to the soft whitish glow provided by small tube like bulbs behind the screen. This then would almost always be a hardware fault, not a setting nor a configuration concern and would require that the Aquos be opened up to effect repairs.

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Sharp Service Center (specially if still under some form of extended warranty) or a qualified professional.

If a DIY is being considered, possible suspects are:
  • CCF (cold cathode florescent) lamps (least likely);
  • controller (a possibility);
  • power supply particularly to the inverter (likely);
  • inverters (most likely).

The inverters are responsible for supplying the high frequency high voltage power used by the CCF lamps. Due to heat related issues, capacitors tend to leak and/or bulge which causes them to fail. The same would hold true for the power supply.

Please reference the ckecklist shown below.

graphic

Good luck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.

Edited by Benimur on 6/5/2010 at 5:01 AM EST