Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

HOTEL/MOTEL TV, RCA model J25230BL. We do not have the master

Customer Question

HOTEL/MOTEL TV, RCA model J25230BL. We do not have the master remote. How can we reprogram to add channels using a universal remote (i.e. Logitech Harmony Pro 890 or generic RCA) and/or the buttons on the tv and/or some sort of reset?
Thanks!
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thank you for using justanswer.

To answer your question;

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do without the master remote.

That is unless you replace the eeprom i.c

It is a small 8pins i.c that sits at the front of the chassis near the buttons/switches.

Very easy to replace.

Your chassis is a ctc177aw2

You can go to this website HERE and choose the eeprom for the ctc177aw2 and the ctc177aw in case the aw2 has the original hotel program(cost 2.50$ a piece).

They are preprogrammed and will work with any standard rca or universal remote using the rca codes.

Hope this help and feel free to ask any question before you accept my answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi-

After reading your eprom suggestion, I was highloy motived to figure out how to use a universal remote to get around it. Never did find the master. A universal remote is all that was need to reprogram all of the channels on all of the TVs.

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

This is very interesting ,about the universal remote because those hotel tv`s are suppose to be foolproof so the customer won`t be mucking around with the tv set.

I`ve been doing this for over 30 years and this is the first time that i hear of a fix other than the master remote or the eeprom replacement.

Perhaps this model doen`t have the same preprogrammed eeprom as the standard hotel tv.

In any case congratulation and i`m glad that it all worked out.

Perhaps i should pay you for the tip :)

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

I do have one question;

Will it hold its program or return to the original setup after it has been unplugged for a while?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

I will unplug one and get back to you tomorrow. I haven't tried to "unset" up the programming. We have had these hotel TVs in our rental units for years and this is the first time that I have added channels to our head end system. (We have never needed to reprogram any of the TVs except when they are repaired. ) You might be alerting us to a potential problem with my solution. We will have very unhappy tenants if all of the programming goes out...

Thanks!

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

I just hope for you it won`t be a problem.

And i`d like it if you`d let me know how it goes.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Jack-

Using a universal remote, we hit menu 4 times. This put us into the setup menu.
Next, used down arrow to get to autoprogram. Then used volume key/right arrow to start programming. Crazy, but true. It worked perfectly. The channels held after we unplugged the TV. Our only remaining issue is we don't have a way to "unlabel and relabel" the channels to reflect CNN, ESPN, etc.. I presume that we will have to get a master remote to solve that problem. However, since the additional channels are working and accessible we have happy tenants and they can live with the incorrect labels now that they have a lot more channels to watch....

Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

That is great and i guess the wrong labels are good trade off for the new channels.

I`m sure your tenants will happily live with it .

Also i`m going to keep this post in my notes for future reference

Thanks again and Cheers