Jack
Jack, Technician
Experience:  35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech
39158752

How can I get my Magnavox television out of childs lock without

How can I get my Magnavox television out of childs lock without the remote
Category: TV
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Hi and thank you for using justanswer.

To answer your question;

Unfortunately you will need a remote to input the factory code although it does`nt have to be the original.

A universal remote programmed to your set will do fine.

You will have to go into the menu under "child lock" and when asked the lock code you can input the factory code "0711"

This will unlock the set and then you can add your own code if you wish.

Hope this help and feel free to ask any question before you accept this answer.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
We tried a universal remote but it would only work if the TV is turned on and since we cant turn on our TV im not sure if that would work.
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Hi again

Are you saying the tv set doesn`t turn on?

If so then you may have a problem that doesn`t concern the "child lock" feature.

Is it completely dead or does it make any sound when you try to turn it on?

Edited by Jack52 on 5/26/2010 at 4:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Ever since the child lock was put on we havent been able to turn it back on. It turned off just fine but it wont turn back on again, and we dont have the original remote control to turn the TV on by remote. When we push the power button nothing happens it says off and we're certain its because of the childs lock function that we cant figure out to get it out of
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

I have another question for you.

When you say "it says off" do you mean that the message appears on the tv screen?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Theres no message its the black screen like when the tv is turned off
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

o.k I was trying to understand your statement "it says off"

Is the power light blinking at the front or any other sign?

Edited by Jack52 on 5/27/2010 at 7:42 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no, there is just a red light showing that its plugged in but not in use
Expert:  Jack replied 4 years ago.

Hi again

O.k you have the standby light.

In your model when the set has the child lock activated: It will come on and show a "child lock" message on the screen.

The message may vary from one brand to the other but there is always a message on the screen that give you the option to either enter a code or key combination so you can use your tv.

So to resume , the problem with your set is internal and the set will have to be serviced.

I also found that this problem with your model can be caused by different circuits, in other words there can be more than one source for the problem you`re experiencing.

And none of them are an easy fix and require a good knowledge of tv repair procedure.

If you decide to take a look yourself , i could help you along with it.

Hope this help and feel free to ask any questions .

Have a nice day

Edited by Jack52 on 6/3/2010 at 12:07 AM EST
Jack, Technician
Experience: 35 years experience as audio,video repair and installation tech