Chuck Williams
Chuck Williams, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years of experience servicing AV electronics to component level, ISF and THX Cert.
13758627

Sony Bravia KDL-32L4000 has a screen problem. Upper half of

Sony Bravia KDL-32L4000 has a screen problem. Upper half of the screen is normal, but the bottom half is blurry and shaky, and it shows the the same picture as the top part of the screen. Note: factory reset didn't help.
Category: TV
Expert:  Chuck Williams replied 6 years ago.

Hi!

It's entirely possible that the TCON is causing this, the problem is that there's no guarantee. The problem can also be the panel (the entire screen), and that, of course, would be bad news.

Also, a TCON board is about $76, so even if a tech were replacing it, it's hardly the cost of a new TV.

But if you want to try it, you have nothing to lose (except $76!).

The part number for the board is 1-857-128-12, and if you click on Encompass and log in as a guest, you can order it from them. Note that you will initially have to pay $166.15 for the part, but when they get the old one back, you get a $90 refund.

Best of luck to you, let me know how it goews or if you have other questions, and thanks for using JustAnswer!

Chuck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hello Chuck,

Thanks for your response.
I hope screen is fine, because sometimes TV starts normal except for a thin horizontal line and after 2-3 minutes everything below the line goes bad.

Could you advice me if this is the same T-Con board? http://www.shopjimmy.com/sony-1-857-128-21-t-con-board.htm
They have it for $50, only difference is that the board number ends with '21'

Thanks,
Zandan

It looks like it, but I can't be sure. And I'll bet they just transposed the last two numbers.

Chuck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Chuck,

I replaced the T-Con board with a new one as you advised. But it didn't fix it - bottom of the screen is shaking like before.
Do you have any other thoughts what this could be?

Thanks,
Z

Z, I'm afraid the only other thing it can be is the screen, that's what I was afraid it would turn out to be.

A new panel is in the $860 range, let me know if you want ordering information.

Chuck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Chuck,
If the repair is going to cost me that much, I'd buy a new Sony for about $450.

But first, I'd like try and do every possible test. Can you say that the problem is not with the main board? Because, when I unplug the interface between main board and t-con board and turn the TV on, the screen lights up normal, i.e. there are no shaking lines along the bottom of the screen.

Thanks for your continuous support,
Z

Z, I can absolutely positively guarantee you the problem is not the main board, it's the panel.

Chuck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thanks. Can you provide me with the panel part number, may be I can find used cheap one.

Sure, but I need the serial number of your unit. Get that to me and I'll be happy to give you the info.

Chuck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model No. KDL-32L4000, Serial No.(NNN) NNN-NNNN Factory ID: FX

OK, the original part number is XXXXX but my supplier says it's no longer available, and to use part number 1-802-932-43, which they sell for about $528, but apparently they also say there is an equivalent part (part number 1-802-932-61) for $449.

This is available from Encompass.

Chuck

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you so much.

Best of luck to you!

Chuck