Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

My Toshiba tv went from color to black and white when playing

Customer Question

My Toshiba tv went from color to black and white when playing dvds. I don't have cable so I don't know if its just the scrap that are in black and white or not. How do I fix this?
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-How old is the unit?

- If you press the menu button on the tv itself, does the menu have color?

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Model number: cz32v51
Made in 1999
And the menu writing is in color
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Do you have anything else hooked to this tv or just the DVD?

How is the DVD hooked to the tv?

The choices are:

Component cables: 5 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a green, a blue, a red, a white, and another red cable

Composite cables: 3 wires between the tv and the device, these are color coded on the end and have a yellow, a white, and a red.

HDMI: 1 wire between the tv and the device, this is a single wire and looks like a computer plug on each end, similar to a large USB connector.

Coax: This is 1 wire between the tv and the device as well. This is the normal cable wire with the end the screws

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I also have a stereo system hooked up to the tv but there is a red green and blue cable hooked up and then another cable that has yellow white and red and that's it.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.
Do you have any other televisions in the home that you can test the dvd player on?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Yea ill try. I actually do think its the dvd player because the menu for the dvd player is in black and white
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Well it could go either way, my hopes are that it is the dvd player but it could still be in the tv, the processing for the video inputs and the menu are done in 2 different places.

Go ahead and try testing the DVD player on another tv, if it is black and white then you know you have a bad DVD player. If it is color then we will need to talk about problems that can be causing this in your tv.

Let me know.

Thanks,

Tim