ProTV and Audio
ProTV and Audio, Sr Engineering Tech
Experience:  Over 25 years in TV & Audio, ISCET Certified, AAS, EET
18874444

My Sylvania is turning on and then turning itself off within

Customer Question

My Sylvania is turning on and then turning itself off within a few seconds. Is there any way I can correct this issue? Sometimes it will start working again after jiggling the cords but now it wont.
Category: TV
Expert:  ProTV and Audio replied 6 years ago.

Hello JA Customer,

Thank you for your question.

Based on your symptoms, and assuming that the power is good at the outlet, there could be several possibilities. The power supply, deflection and high voltage circuit, and even the power cord to the TV.

If one end of the power cord can be wiggled and the TV turns on/off then that could very well be the issue, if so, do not use the TV and leave it unplugged until it can be safety checked by an experienced technician.

Next, we have the possibility of the power supply, deflection and high voltage circuit. If the set is completely dead and won't turn on then, with no thump sound, or click then the power supply is suspect.

If the TV turns on momentarily and then shuts down it could be in the deflection or high voltage section. The parts can vary between $25-75.00 depending on the failed component.

The most common fault is in the power supply section. The faulty components in the power supply can typically be replace for approximately $25.00 in parts, plus your local service call rates and labor.

If you are in need of a repair person, please visit TVRepairman.com, and enter
your zip code to search for a qualified service center at the following link.

http://www.yext.com/tvrepair/

Thank you for using Just Answer, and if you should have any additional questions,
please ask.

Do you have any other questions?

If I have gained your trust as a Just Answer expert, please click accept, thanks again.