Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician
Experience:  20 YEARS OF TV REPAIR ALSO HD, DLP LCD AND PLASMA EXPERIENCE
10191312

I have an LG plasma tv 60py2dr. My tv made a loud pop and the

I have an LG plasma tv 60py2dr. My tv made a loud pop and the screen whent black as if it was turned off. I still have audio but no picture.
Category: TV
Expert:  Rick williams replied 4 years ago.

Hello friend, Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem, And possibly help you save on these Labor charges today, So please don't Accept my answer unless you are satisfied,

(Please click on high lighted words) this is my sample may not be the same model but doesn't matter the technology is the same.

Would like for you to take your meter and place it on DC voltage the positive end on every connector that says a voltage and the negative wire to the panel this is the best ground. Turn on and see if the voltage is present at the VS, VA, V-scan, According to the Label. Also if a voltage is missing remove each board from the power supply to make sure they are not holding down the voltage If you don't find one that's trying to climb, or shows close to what it should be, another method is to locate a short circuit place meter on ohms or beep test follow same procedure no voltage should be shorted to ground. And this is the problem. You can unplug each board one at a time, Starting with the Y-SUS then the Z-SUS.

Friend this is a very common problem with plasma. Within the power supply the capacitors

Start to fail and the way you can tell is to check them visually for swelling or expanding of the top.

It will be easy to see the bad caps will not be as flat on the top as the good ones

Normally the parts for this unit is a kit Y-SUSTAIN AND Z-SUSTAIN BOARD, this is what most manufacturers would want you to do, purchase them. But go to high lighted words and go through all the voltage checks to find the bad part, here is also a chart that should help a lot, also this is a picture that will help with identity.

Well Good luck friend, and if my efforts are appreciated, feedback and a bonus will be appreciated

Thanks Simplified click here

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not a repair person, and I don't understand. Is there something I can do?

I guess not friend, I sent you the answer assuming you were going to repair yourself, So i suggest you tell a friend that has a meter and some skills very simple to test a plasma.

Well Good luck friend, and if my efforts on trying to help you save on those large labor charges are appreciated, feedback and a bonus will be appreciated

Thanks.

Rick williams, Technician
Experience: 20 YEARS OF TV REPAIR ALSO HD, DLP LCD AND PLASMA EXPERIENCE