Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert in the main

Why does my Freeview picture pixelate ( ) and jump Why cant

Customer Question

Why does my Freeview picture pixelate (?) and jump? Why can't I get CBeebies? My BBC channels are all worst affected. My TV is freeview ready and the ariel is newly installed. Please help. Thanks Helen
Category: TV
Expert:  James replied 4 years ago.
Hi There,

Do you have an aerial amplifier connected ? It seems that in most cases the new freeview signal is no longer as strong as the older analogue signal.

Typically an aerial amplifier will fix the issues, let me know if you don't have one, I'll tell you where to purchase one from.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi!

I took your advice and now have an ariel amplifier attached but can no longer get BBC channels. It finds them on a scan but there is nothing on the screen. It also doesn't put them on channel one but on channel 803 etc. Any ideas?

Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 4 years ago.

Hello

Please disconnect the aerial amplifier this wont solve the issue.

Could you please just answer these questions in order

Im going to hazard a guess and say your in the uk (I am too)

When you say you had a new installation aerial installed did the guys say if their was any signal issues?

Is the aerial out on the roof?

Do you have any trees or hills around your residence?

Could you please supply your postcode so I can check the signal quality in your area?

What is the make and model of the freeview box you are using please?

Has the freeview box never worked properly?

What is the make and model of your tv please?

Does your tv work ok playing dvds or any other input?

Im sorry for all these questions but they are essential for correctness

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi there!

Yes we are in the UK. I had the BBC channels until the weekend. I just had alot of pixellating on various channels, so the chap before you said to get an amp which has stopped the pixellating but which has removed the BBC!

In answer to your q's

We didn't have it installed, our landlord did, before we moved in and it worked fine for him.

Is the aerial out on the roof?

Yes

No

LE8

None

NA

What is the make and model of your tv pleas

Goodmans LD3270D

Yes

Any idea?

Hello again

Sorry you have built in digital on the tv

OK the amplifier wont solve issues to do with reception of digital broadcasts the bandwidth to amplify is much different to analogue tv and although it may have a marginal affect it wont iron out problems and in any case amplifys the noise too, and just causes more problems than it was initially intended

You could have one of 2 problems here the software that controls the dvb-t tuner is corrupt however its my guess this is ok or the reception is not up to the mark

You will need to have that aerial rechecked or its cabling or both, also the aerial plug needs to be checked to make sure the braid and the inner lead are apart (you can do this)

The reason why now the set has done a jig with the allocation of channels is the MUX (multiplex) for the tuner and the set has lost its referencing and is picking other transmitters to allocate the channels on because of the booster, just remove it and go back to what I said as I said its just causing more issues

To rule out the software of the set it would need to be tried on another known good aerial and if reception is good and no pixellation the software is good, it would also rule out the set too,if it starts pixellation the software is corrupt and will need reinstalling or upgrading usually via the cam input

Hope you understand if you dont please let me know

Anthony

PS Please dont forget to press accept and leave positive feedback (if my answer has been of assistance) for me as this is the only way I receive a proportion of the fee for my time once again many thanks and good luck!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry to bother you again but I don't understand.

My analogue signal is fine for BBC one and two. My freeview reception for BBC one and two was fine without the amplifier.

However without the amp, my picture was very pixellated and I couldn't get many channels at all.

So do I need to remove the amp and live with a pixellated picture (or pay an arial man to fix the outside arial) or keep the amp and live without BBC one and two?

Do you think it would help if I tried using my freeview box instead of the built in TV one?

I don't know anyone else that uses freeview so can't check my equipment that way.

Thanks

Hello

You didnt mention the reception on analogue on the other channels ie ITV and CH4?

Many places in the uk dont have analogue now however if you still have this its a useful reference for just how good the signal is so please let me know about the others

You see what you have to understand is the signal for digital needs to be spot on in order for it not to pixellate and affect the sound,with the booster although initially it has improved the gain of the signal, it also has introduced a host of new problems, you need to solve this problem at its core which is the reception,the booster is not the answer

Because you may get good reception on one channel and not another doesnt mean that your aerial is ok, its actually not ok

Now having said that you could try another freeview box there and it may have a better front end in terms of gain and balance within that so you may get better results but the only sure fire solution is to have the aerial or whatever is causing the aerial (lead or whatever)to not perform

Outside of this is the tuner software I already mentioned

Anthony