Anthony_Infotech
Anthony_Infotech, Technician
Experience:  20+ years experience TV expert in the main
18621325

Hi Am trying to get captioning on my Sanyo TV, and my menu

Customer Question

Hi
Am trying to get captioning on my Sanyo TV, and my menu does not allow me to download them. Is that because of a local area issue? Or can you help?
Thanks!
M. Arnold
Category: TV
Expert:  Anthony_Infotech replied 4 years ago.

Hello
Welcome

How are you watching the tv ie cable box/ cable strait/ satellite /antenna?

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
cable straight

Hello again

OK so the cable will be going to your antenna socket

The analogue captioning is CC1 to CC4 quikcap and off and the digital is CC1 to CC6 Quikcap and off

You need to repeatably press the caption button on the remote for the sanyo

Im not sure about the cable straight format but try both analogue and digital

If you still have problems please tell me who your cable provider is

Many Thanks

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Am still not able to receive captions. My cable provider is Time Warner

Hello

Do you only have the one remote or do you use a cable one too?

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I use one for the TV cable and one for the VHS/DVD(Panasonic)

Hello

When you press the caption button do you get any black rectangular boxes up at all?

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
It just says 'not available'

Hello

OK at least the set is responding and providing a message

I would go to time warner here see what they say then get back to me its my guess that their is a closed captioning problem

https://www.timewarnercable.com/Carolinas/support/closedcaptioning/default.html use this info as this is particular to your problem

Please let me know how you go

Regards

Anthony

Hello

Sorry you may have to input your zip top corner

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Meaning?? Zip Code??

Hello

On the link I sent you to get to the right area for your time warner I'm not sure but I think you need to input your zip code at the time warner site in the top right hand corner?

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I spent time dealing with my cable provider, and they were unable to help saying that it is a problem with Sanyo! So, I am back with you.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I spent time dealing with my cable provider, and they were unable to help saying that it is a problem with Sanyo! So, I am back with you.Am still unable to obtain closed caption on my screen. And one of the TVs is less than a year old.

Hello

You have tried a number of channels for captioning and it still says unavailable?

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Yes. And on both TVs

Hello

Both tvs?so you cant get captioning on another set too?is it another sanyo

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Both TVs are Sanyos. And one is less than a year old. Both have 'caption' buttons but neither will allow me to 'permanently' set captioning.

Hello

The remote you use for the cable channels is it the original one for the set or is it a cable provided one?sorry to be going around in circles but I find cable straight to have different set ups

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
These are both the original Sanyo remotes

Hello

This has to be the cable provider, if you was to run these sets on an antenna its my guess they would work on closed captioning, the closed captioning it would appear to me is not supported thats why your getting unavailable and for it to happen on both sets really reinforces my argument,it seems odd that time warner have a department that concentrates on loss of closed captioning only!

Did time warner insist theirs nothing wrong with the system in your area?

Has these sets ever worked on close captions in its current signal ie cable straight?

Anthony

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Neither of these sets have ever worked with with closed caption.Their local office is accross the street from me, so I will stop there this afternoon and see if I can get any better satisfaction than I could by phone.

Hello

Yes please let me know

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will do
Thanks
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will do
Thanks

Hi Anthony
Have spoken to Time Warner, and they will make a 'house call' on the 20th to see what the problem is as they too say I should be getting closed captioning. Once they have been here, I will let you know what happens.
Thanks

Hello

OK thats good

Please let me know the outcome, the situation may arise again

Regards

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Will do. As I said, however, I will not know from the cable co. until 4/20. Thanks for all your attempts.

Hello

Thats ok it has to be an issue with them

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
OK; Cable co has just been here and they too are unable to get closed captioning on the TVs as well. So, it is back to you people! Does it make any difference that these are flat screen TV's?

Hello

OK both sets are saying closed caption is unavailable

This only has 2 explainations

That their is no closed captioning or poor closed captioning or signal attenuation leading to the set not seeing the closed caption this would lie with time warner or the tuners of both the sets are somehow not passing the closed caption signal usually generated by the graphics section and text

You really need to try one of your sets somewhere else on a known good closed caption cable connection but this may not be possible?it would prove that the set is faulty or not

Do you have teletext at all?can you usually receive teletext?

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I'm not sure what you mean by 'teletext'. I just went to WalMart where I had purchased both sets and explained the situation. Their only suggestion is to wait for the news, which we know is always closed captioned, and then try all the methods I've been told to try. Beyond that noone seems to know what to do. I do get occasional 'text' type messages (advertizing etc).

Hello

Text is for viewing the news or viewing sport for example by pressing the text button in text format on screen

Do you have the use of an antenna?can you receive off air programs?

This is the only way to eliminate the set if closed caption works on an antenna this rules the set out for being faulty, its my good guess that it will as you have both sets doing the same thing

You would need to retune for antenna but the signal is coming through the tuner like it does with time warner

Theirs nothing else you can do but try that, you would need to be sure that closed captioning is being transmitted though

Many Thanks

Anthony

PS Please dont forget to press accept and leave positive feedback for me as this is the only way I receive a proportion of the fee for my time once again thank you and good luck!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I appreciate your attempts, but nothing you have suggested has worked.
Thank you anyway

Hello again

Sir its not a case of "nothing you have suggested has worked" I have painstakenly narrowed your options down to what you must do next in order to solve this difficult problem you have, indeed you have had 2 engineers in your house and they didnt know what to do,their is no one who is goin to say to you this is x,y,z wrong with your set do this and it will work!a lot of times this can happen but it was apparent early on it was going to be difficult, I still havent ruled out time warner being at fault,you need to take any one of those 2 sets to an good working antenna or indeed another place were time warner has closed captions and try it there,its my belief that the sets will work because its too much of a coincidence for 2 sets not to receive closed caption and display

This can be your only next move to eliminate the set(s) as being faulty

Regards

Anthony

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
When I verbally spoke with Sanyo yesterday we determined that a possible problem might be that I have a stereo, VCR/DVD and TV all connected together, and that the cable is going to the VCR instead of directly to the the TV. Of course, should I connect it directly to the TV then I may no longer be able to tape programs on the VCR. But at that point she suggested I contact Panasonic-the VCR manufacturer. You are right. This is a difficult problem, and I may end up having to call in an electronics repair person to solve the issue
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello

Yes this is what I meant about the signal being attenuated so yes it is a good idea to run it directly into the set and try again you can always put it back but you will know were you are then, if the signal is attenuated by your equipment it could kill the closed caption,I was just thinking you had the set direct anyhow but attenuation and the sets tuner are what I have indicated

Anthony