Louie, Technician
Experience:  25+ yrs. experience in the field and 5+ yrs. online, down to component level.

My RCA television displays unusable signal. I cant get cable

My RCA television display's unusable signal. I can't get cable or watch dvd's. I also used to watch cable on channel 4 and now my tv isn't even tuned in to get channel 4. What could be wrong and how do I tune in channel 4 again? This is a 2 yr old 37inch
Category: TV
Expert:  Louie replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome to JustAnswer,

Initially, with an RCA L37WD22YX5, the displayed message of "NO USABLE SIGNAL" would be as it implies, the TV could not sense an incoming TV signal and has gone into video mute rather than display noise. While this could be a fault in the antenna or cable, this particular model has known issues with the tuner section. The tuner is responsible for receiving the incoming TV signals and processing it to be video and audio. It is also responsible for channel selection. This would then be a hardware fault and not a setting nor a configuration concern.

Options then are:
  • consider a DIY (do-it-yourself) repair if and only if comfortable working with electronic components & circuitry, use of a DVM/VOM, a soldering iron/station and safe practices with electrically powered devices. Access to a Service Manual or at the very least, a schematic diagram would be a necessity;
  • should you be uncomfortable with a DIY, perhaps your best bet would then be to consult with and/or seek the services of an authorized Service Center (specially if still under some form of extended warranty) or a qualified professional.

Offhand, if a DIY is being considered, foremost to check/replace would be:
  1. two (2) green SMDs (surface mounted devices) pico fuses marked with an "F" and rated at 500 mA;
  2. both would be towards the rear of the tuner block.

Good luck and thank you for asking JustAnswer.

Edited by Benimur on 4/13/2010 at 11:46 PM EST