Rick williams
Rick williams, Technician
Experience:  20 YEARS OF TV REPAIR ALSO HD, DLP LCD AND PLASMA EXPERIENCE

my mitsubishi wd-65734 screen is flickering lightly durring

my mitsubishi wd-65734 screen is flickering lightly durring all modes of video (xbox-tv-bluray) is it the bulb going bad or some type of sync problem with the DMD dlp chip/ color wheel?
Category: TV
Expert:  Rick williams replied 4 years ago.

Hello friend, Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your question?

Is the tv isolated from every thing else, just coax coming from the cable box to tv?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

the TV is isolated....one HDMI from my switching av reciever to the tv. all the sources pass through the reciever. the recievers firmware current and i have tried to use a different hdmi input on the tv...no change, still a light flicker from time to time....it isnt constant and no input from me has any effect.

ps. i guess i should specify...the flicker isnt associated with picture movment...i can pause the source and it continues to flicker for a variable amount of time

this isn't isolated, is there a cable box or satellite some place?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

from the source(s) (xbox or directv or bluray) to the AV reciever to the tv........

all sources connect to my home theater AV reciever via HDMI's....3 seperate inputs on the reciever, one per source....then from the reciever there is one HDMI out to the HDMI 1 input on the TV....

Well i cant get you to isolate it, for me to confirm or be confident with any answer, I would want you to isolate, being that all inputs are problems, and they all come from this receiver tells me one thing, that is i would like to test without the receiver, what do you think??
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

ok if i am understanding you correctly....you want me to connect the tv directly to a source (directv) i have dont that and i will let you know if not having the reciever in between makes any difference

Ok,
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

had no effect....sill flickering

ok buddy one last test, can you use just the coax cable from cable box to the tv, reason is the tv may need firmware upgrade for your hdmi inputs, the only test you ran was HDMI correct, lets try a different input such as Antenna air, basically any thing but HDMI, if it flickers then I would want you to open the back and see if the Lamp itself is flickering, If so and Lamp is over a year replace it, I just dont want you to waist your money, The lamp gets power from the Ballast and you dont have a solid failure. If you did we could find the problem by going into service mode, So a lamp would be the most intelligent replacement now.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
well that was quick and easy......i changed to component video from a source and while the tv was displaying the blue screen (no input from source) i already was seeing the flicker on the blue screen.....
were you able to see if the Lamp was flickering. And how old is the tv, when was the Lamp changed last.

Edited by Rick williams on 3/26/2010 at 12:14 AM EST
.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
purchased the tv in 2008 feb i think and i cant tell if the lamp is flickering from the light throught the cooling vents....i can only see it on the screen.

Ok, well being that the Lamp is this old and cant be tested, you should order it and replace,

How long does a DLP projection lamp usually last?

It is safe to list the lamp life for most DLP front and rear projection televisions between 1000 and 2000 hours. I know that's a cop out, but it's hard to nail down a direct length of time. Some lamps might last only 500 hours while others may last 3000 hours. The window is so broad because no one knows for sure how long one lamp will last versus another. They're like light bulbs, and depending on how you use them, some will just last longer.

To put it simply, if you watched television three hours a day the lamp would last approximately 333 days at the 1000-hour lamp life and 666 days at the 2000-hour lamp life. That's pretty realistic because most people will want/need to replace their lamp every 1-2 years, but there are stories of people replacing a lamp every 6-8 months or every 3-4 years.

How do I know when it is time to replace my lamp?

Trust me, you'll know. The screen will lose its brightness and appear dim. You won't necessarily have to replace the lamp when you notice the dimming. Some people might wait until the bitter end to install a new lamp while others will have one in reserve waiting for the screen to dim. It's a matter of choice.

How much do replacement lamps cost?

Unfortunately, replacement lamps for all projection televisions are costly - in the over $200 range. Depending on the type of lamp and manufacturer, the cost will vary considerably. Where can I buy a replacement lamp?

I suggest contacting your manufacturer to see what lamp they recommend for your particular television, and to see who is an authorized dealer in your area (if any). There are a lot of good online stores that can send you a lamp usually for a lower price, but I would be a little wary about ordering something fragile like a replacement lamp through the mail. My concerns are that the lamp would be damaged in shipping, and the online retailer might be difficult (a rare case) to work with regarding replacement of the replacement lamp.

Are they easy to install?

My answer is yes, but I must qualify that by stating it all depends on who is doing the installing. Some models of televisions might be more difficult than others. Usually, it should be as much or little as twisting a screwdriver, pulling the lamp out, inserting the new one, and turning the set back on. This is definitely something to ask about before buying your television.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

is there any other tests that can be run throught the tv's service menu's?

No, the tv isn't shutting down, It must shut down in order to have a failure, you can check the voltage that leaves the power supply and goes into the ballast, should be around 300vdc, You cant measure it going into the lamp this voltage is to high. Also look at the power supply board make sure all capacitors are flat on the tops, there is no information on Mitsubishi site on this flicker,

graphic

Rick williams, Technician
Experience: 20 YEARS OF TV REPAIR ALSO HD, DLP LCD AND PLASMA EXPERIENCE