TV Tech1
TV Tech1, Technician
Experience:  30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
26807325

My son hooked up his Playstation 3 to my Philips flatscreen

My son hooked up his Playstation 3 to my Philips flatscreen tv. Model 22PFL3504D/F7 and now the color doesn't work when I use the tv with the cable box setup. TV setting goes no signal. Video. No signal. Component gets a signal from the cable and it works fine EXCEPT there is no color! (HDMI1 and 2, nothing). My son (aged 11) did not touch the existing cable set up. The picture is fine, its just black and white.

The Settings on the Settings Assistant for "Auto Picture" change the picture somewhat but do not bring back any color. Color and Tint setting changes produce no color.

On the initial setup setting, I get GREAT color.

Help?

Thanks, Rebecca Goolsby
Category: TV
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

You said your cable box is connected using the 5 wire component cables correct?

If you are using the 5 wire component cables, and you get a black and white picture that's because the GREEN wire is connected, but the Red and Blue wire is disconnected.

It can disconnect on the TV end, but it really likes to disconnect on the CABLE BOX end !

I have seen dozens of them disconnected there.

And the other thing that I see is they LOOK CONNECTED, but they are pulled out just enough to stop the color signals getting to the TV set.

So reseat all connections on both ends to make sure they are connnected, ok?

If you still have problems after that get back with me on this.

If you have any questions, just ask

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
THere are only three wires, red, blue and yellow, no green. I forgot to say earlier that we figured it was a cable problem and reset the cables a couple of times at the beginning with no result.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

Ok, this box is used by Time Warner, Comcast and Verizon and is found in 95% of homes that have an HD TV set.

I've marked the connections, the layout should be similar on your cable box.

graphic

And this is a picture of the Back of YOUR TV set. Match the Red to Red, the Green to Green and the Blue to Blue, then finish up with the AUDIO connectors.

graphic

Now if you aren't using one of the SILVER HD cable boxes, and you actually have one of the BLACK Boxes and it does NOT have the word HD written on the front of the cable box, then let me know, ok? I rarely find an HD TV set connected to a Low Def Cable box anymore.

Also, if you are actually Living in the UK or some other European nation, then that would explain WHY you have no Green Connector on the Back of the Cable box. The Irish took it, and they won't return it until later next week....

In the USA we use Yellow-White-Red connectors for Low Definition Cable, and we use Channel 3 for it too.

We use 5 wire Component connections for HD pictures, and the Red /Green/Blue Video connections do the same thing as the OLDER Yellow one did for 25 years.

So double check those connectors, if you have a BLUE one, that logically means there is a Green one teamed up with it....

If you have any questions, just ask

Thank you.

TV Tech1, Technician
Experience: 30 Years experience. Authorized Warranty servicer.
Expert:  TV Tech1 replied 4 years ago.

graphic

graphic

If you have any questions, just ask

Thank you.