Joe, Technician
Experience:  ASE cert tech for over 12 years, electronics has been my highest study, 4 years of home electronics

Hello, My Insignia flat screen TV has a black square in the

Hello, My Insignia flat screen TV has a black square in the middle of the screen with 2" either side showing picture. I believe this is a setting issue with the remote control as its happened before, a tech friend fixed it but never shared how he did it. We can watch DVD's and get a full picuture, just live TV has the black square!!!

Can you help me?
Category: TV
Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

Please check to see if closed caption is turned on, press cc on the remote to turn it off. If that is not the problem please let me know how much of the screen the box takes up.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

When I press ccd on the remote it says "no cc information", I can't find any closed caption on/off buttons even through the menu. 80% of the screen is solid black, i can see picture on both sides of the black square.

I checked closed caption through the cable box and it is turned off. I'm turning off the cable completely and re-booting it.

Okay Joe, I just re-booted the cable box and it turned on and the black box has disappeared....thank god!

I guess it had nothing to do with the Insignia control and was all about the Cox Cable box!! who knew?

Thanks anyway and have a good day.

Expert:  Joe replied 6 years ago.

My mind was going two different ways I am very sorry for that, I meant to include info for the picture in picture setting, however since that fixed it, it might have been a simple message from the cable company and some times they dont show up as just a box or stay on even after, I have a feeling thats all it was, was just a message box. Good to hear its working again.