Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

My TV is a Sharp. is aprox 5 years old (Model 27UC4) It went

Customer Question

My TV is a Sharp. is aprox 5 years old (Model:27UC4) It went black while I was watching a program. I tried all the things I knew then I called Dish. They decided the problem wa in the TV, they told me I should call Sharp, so I did. I got on the type a tech and the following is what he typed back to me.

If you take the back off you will see a couple of bulged electrolytic caps that are bulged and they need to be replace, or get a new power supply at www.partstore.com
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-If you press the menu button, does the menu have color?

-How old is the unit?

- Do you have this problem while watching all different devices hooked to this television? (DVD player, cable, satellite, game counsel, ect.)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I am noat sure if the menu button has color . I will have to look tonight when I go home. I am at work now.

The unit is aprox. 5 years old. It is a 28" screen.

I can't get any thing. The screen stays black with no sound when I try.

During the time I was trying to get it to work, It tried to go on 3 times once with only sound, the other times it was flashed of light. they only lasted seconds.
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Ok well lets test that menu and let me know when you get home. I will be here for about 3 or 4 more hours. Will you be home by then?

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
not sure if I will be home by then. can I try tomorrow?
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Yup, I will be around tomorrow as well.

Tim

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I finally found you. The menu button is below the sat. button on the channel changer if I press the sat. button first the menu lights up red. the menu on the TV set does not light up. nothing on the board below the screen that lights up. ...Dorothy
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 4 years ago.

Dorothy,

I am so sorry, I have been away for a family emergency for a couple of days, I am back now and greatly appologize for the dealy in my answer.

There are a couple of things that could cause this, unfortunately there is no reset for this televisions and it will have an internal failure at this point. I will try to explain the possibilities the best I can.

First you could have a failure in the power supply, we have seen some capacitors fail in your model and cause funky problems like this. If this is the case you could be looking at somewhere around $175-$200 to fix the set. IF the power supply had to be replaced you could be looking at $350

Next could be the main board, this would not be good news because you could be looking at $400-$500 for the repair (I know this is up there in the price range and most likely getting over the cost of a new set)

Lastly you could have a problem with the panel itself, this would mean a new set for sure because the part cost is more than a new set. The panel in your tv is about $800 just for the part.

Any of these could cause your problem, but it will require troubleshooting to determine the exact cause of your problem. If you have experience, and test equipment and would like to attempt some troubleshooting I will be happy to assist you, however if you do not have equipment or experience then you would need a repairman at this time to get an exact diagnosis. I am sorry that I don't have a quick fix or easy answer for you on this one, it is definitely an internal failure.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan