Tim Nolan
Tim Nolan, TV Repair Technician
Experience:  Factory trained TV repair technician. U.S. NAVY trained.
12486280

Cinema Series Toshiba 10 years old Wont turn on, power light

Cinema Series Toshiba 10 years old
Won't turn on, power light flashes. This has been an occasional annoyance for a few years. Would always come on after being unplugged for awhile. Now it won't come on and the power light just flashes - there's always an extra click when turning on when this happens.
Category: TV
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Thank you for posting your question on Just Answer! I will be happy to help you with this problem. Can you please give us some more information so I can better answer your questions.

-What is the model number for the television? (this can be found on the back of the unit)

-Is the light flashing a pattern? (example 5 blinks pause 5 blinks pause repeat)

Please give me this information and I will be happy to assist you further.

Thank you,

Tim Nolan

Edited by Expert TV on 3/10/2010 at 10:27 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Tim,

The model number is XXXXX When I plug in the TV the power light stays on for about 2-3 seconds and then starts flashing. No pattern, it's about a flash a second uninterrupted. I've had this problem for about two years, could go a month or two and then it might happen a few times. Sometimes being unplugged for just 10 seconds and then it would work. Other times had to be unplugged for hours.

Now of course, it's simply not coming on no matter what.

Thanks

Rob
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

Ok, if there are no problems with the picture when it is working then I am going to say that you most likely have a bad Z801 module...

This is a module that has been notorious for failing in your model causing it to do exactly what yours is doing...works when it wants to shuts off when it doesn't, causes weird effects in the picture and so on..

This can be replaced by a trained technician and will run you somewhere around $300-$350 for the repair. I am about 90% certain that this is your issue.

If this isn't your issue then most likely it will be a failure in the convergence circuit, this repair will run more around $400 to have completed by a tech.

There are a couple of other issues that I can think of that could possibly cause this as well but it would be unlikely, they include the vertical and the power supply, these would still run you somewhere between $300-$400.

So the botXXXXX XXXXXne here is you should be expecting a bill of somewhere between $300-$400, but the set is very repairable, you will just need to decide if it is worth that kind of money to you or not. Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.

If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don't hesitate to ask!

Please never accept an answer until you are 100% satisfied and feel you can leave positive feedback. If I have answered your questions and met your needs then please press the green "accept" button. Otherwise please feel free to ask anything else to get your problem resolved. Positive feedback is always appreciated!

Thank you,
Tim Nolan

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you Tim, one final question. To get another 50 inch or better is $900 plus. Granted I'd be getting a much better DLP for that money, but I can wait. The Toshiba picture is good enough. Based on your experience, if I fork over the money to fix this what are the odds that I'd get another 2 years out of this TV? I won't hold you to this of course, but would appreciate your expertise and experience in making up my mind on what to do.

Thanks

Rob
Expert:  Tim Nolan replied 6 years ago.

I would say odds are about 90% that you will get 2 more years. Also I would stay away from DLP I would go for an LCD with a 5 year warranty.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask!

thanks!

Tim